Who has built a chicken plucker?

cackle

Songster
11 Years
Jul 8, 2008
North Carolina
Okay to those of you who have built a whizbang chicken plucker or any other style of plucker what advice would you give those who are considering the feat?

Where did you get your plucker fingers?

What did you use as a tub and featherplate?

What size motor?

What would you do differently?

Was it worth it?

Thanks,

Susan

Okay to those of you who have built a whizbang chicken plucker or any other style of plucker what advice would you give those who are considering the feat? Do it.

Where did you get your plucker fingers? Kent Co.

What did you use as a tub and featherplate? Aluminum plate / sheet rolled and welded. (Not fair I work in metal fabrication)

What size motor? 3/4 HP as specified.

What would you do differently? Not much, I installed a V-Belt idler and set it up a bit differently. The WBPlucker Book is pretty well done as far as instructions.

Was it worth it? Absolutely, 40-50 seconds two birds squeaky clean after getting the scald zeroed in. (The scald was different from RIR to Cornish X, experiment a bit 150* for 50 seconds was the sweet spot for the CX)

Thanks, You are welcome.

Susan Don

Quote:
Can u tell me how you build it?I really need one due to grocery's being so high...
Thanks sooo much,
Cat
smile.png

Quote:
Thank you Don,

I have the book and some of the parts. I am pretty sure I will not be using aluminum. I found a link for the featherplate on the Whizbang site. Darin has the motor which I really appreciate. Several of us are going to build together so we can have one we can all use.

Can u tell me how you build it?I really need one due to grocery's being so high...
Thanks sooo much,
Cat
smile.png

I bought the book off the cumberland book site but i noticed earlier the whizbang site has scratch and bent books at a reduced price.

Mr. Kimball's Whizbang plucker is terrific. I built one based on his plans and I bought the featherplate, fingers, etc. from him. If you can get a cheap motor, do it! You probably don't need the full 3/4 hp motor if that's the problem. I unfortunately bought a new 3/4 hp motors after turning down a friend's 1/2 hp motor thinking it wouldn't be enough. It would have been and I would have saved $$$$.

We have. Well.....the hubby has!
wink.png
If you'd like to see how he did it (similar to Mr. Kimball....but different as well.) click on the blog link below. He wrote a post on it last week, so just scroll down a bit and you'll find it. Good Luck!

Angie,

I really liked your web site and blogs. Thank you for sharing. Good info from your husband around building the chicken plucker.

Susan

Quote:
Thanks Susan, I hope it was helpful. Good luck with your own plucker. They are really handy. I couldn't imagine being without it now!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom