who has cabin fever? Cyber road trip.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by curliet, Dec 9, 2008.

1. curliet

curliet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    west Michigan
    Well, I'm beginning to develop a real case of the dreaded winter time cabin fever. [​IMG] I think there are a few others here who seem to be suffering as well. So, I'm proposing a cyber vacation trip for anyone who is up for it. [​IMG] I'll give ya some idea of what I have in mind and the rest of you can jump in and add whatever wild road trip ideas you come up with.

Well, here's what I'm doing for starters. Our old 1996 Coleman Pop-Up camper sleeps 6, and we have the add-a-room too, so a few more can bunk in there. I'm scheming that we can get some big ole semi truck tires somewhere for it, and raise it off the ground enough to attach a chicken tractor under it so we can take a good sized flock of chickens on vacation with us. I'll have to make a place for lil Spanky, our lab, but she'd probably be more happy riding in our full sized Chevy van (Chckn D Van) with us.

Since I'm in MI where there's lots of snow, and I'm hoping that we can think of someplace where our snow shovel won't be needed for it's intended purpose, we can strap that to the back somewhere to use for scraping the poo when we stop for the night. Sometimes Walmart will let people stay in their parking lots while traveling, but if we aren't careful with the poo, they'll be calling ahead and warning the other stores along the way about us. [​IMG] Does anyone have an idea of how we can keep the waterers from spilling when we go uphill? [​IMG]

I'd like to head for Mexico to the nice warm waters of the gulf, and want to stop along the way and pick up Kat and her SO (gritsar) and a few of her chickies as well. I think that lilbit and Lilith would love the trip. And I think she has a dog or 2 that she couldn't leave behind. She's in Arkansas, anyone else along the way that we would have to stop and pick up? We could always turn this into a caravan, and make a banner [​IMG] to fly over us announcing that it's a BYC rally.

Who's in?

2. bubbazmommy

bubbazmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2008
    Albany, ME
    Come get me! Come get me! [​IMG]

3. curliet

Apr 22, 2008
    west Michigan
    Okay, Bubbasmommy, but since you are in the wrong direction from where we are probably going you'll have to meet us halfway or something. What will you be using for transportation? If need be, we can save some of those semi inner tubes and pull you behind the camper. At least til we get where there's no snow to slide on. Then we'll have to come up with something else.

BTW, is anyone willing to be the cook on this jaunt? I think we could mount a grill or a smoker somewhere on the camper.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I have the smoker! We just bought a new one this past summer. Barbeque on one side, smoker on the other. Probably have to weld a mount for it on the back of the jeep. Let's put in on the big guy's jeep, not mine. Mine's too purty for that. Y'all have to give me some menu ideas though, unless you want to eat brisket and ranch beans the whole time we're on the road.
    We've really got to draw straws on where we're going though. I don't wanna go to Mexico. How 'bout the gulf coast of Florida? We can all park at my Dad's house! All his blue hair neighbors will have coronaries when we come riding in. We simply must take the harley with us. Dad's old biddy neighbors still haven't gotten over that thing starting up right outside their bedroom windows last year. [​IMG]
    Besides, if we go to Florida we can take all our chooks to Disney World! They allow that don't they?
    Do you think Spanky and Charlie girl would get along? Jake we can leave behind with a doggy sitter. I betcha I'll still be hearing that dog barking when we hit Georgia.
    OH! And Thor says if Lilith and Lil' Bit get to go on vacation he wants to go too.

(P.S. Sorry T for being so late to this thread. If you've read my latest e-mail, you'll know why [​IMG] )

5. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    This vacation/holiday sounds so much fun I WANT TO COME!!!

How can I cyber fly....hmmmmmm cause I can't swim the Pond!

I want to go to Hawai...it has always looked so beautiful......

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Los Algodones near Guaymas, Mexico is beautiful this time of year. I took sweetie down there 12 years ago about this time of year. The water of the gulf of CA was warm and the weather was gorgeous... but we flew down from Tucson.

7. curliet

Apr 22, 2008
    west Michigan
    English Chick, I have some more of those semi inner tubes (who knew they'd come in so handy, and I'm sending a package of them to you via air mail. I've enclosed some large bungee straps as well, so that you can lash them together to make a raft big enough to come across the big water. (or you could rig up some harnesses for your chickens and they can fly you over.) Be sure and keep your lap top handy so that you can post on the board here to let us know where you come ashore. Someone near whereever you land can scoop you up and join the caravan with you.
    Kat, sure we can hit Fla. But the problem with that is that at my age and with my gray hair, I'm afraid they'll try to keep me there. We have family in Lake City, and in Naples. They all want us to come there too, but then we end up staying and going to waffle house every morning. [​IMG]
    The grill smoker is a good idea, think we can run it while on the move? Sometimes those briskets take some time to get cooked thru. Of course, there's bound to be lots of stops to pick up other fellow travelers, and neat places to visit, so we'll have time for some big feasts. Oh, but no bar b que chicken, not with all those chickens watching us. We want them to have a good time on this trip. [​IMG] I hate to mention this, kind of indelicate, but we'll want to go a little easy on the beans if we're traveling in close contact. Unless there is one of those brilliant teenagers who have figured out a way to use it as fuel.
    I am sure that chooks are among the family members allowed at Disney World, and that sounds like a great idea. Maybe we could even get them to declare a Chicken Day and we could all parade thru the place doing the chicken dance. [​IMG]
    And maybe a side trip over to Mexico for a day or 2.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  8. curliet

Apr 22, 2008
    west Michigan
    Was just thinkin, if we're going to FLA, we really shouldn't miss sunset at Mallory square on Key West. Does someone know a way that we can use English Chicks inner tubes to make that chicken tractor float and a way to power it so we can motor on down there? As I recall, there are a couple of campgrounds on the island, one is called Boyds. We might have to be careful with the birds tho, you know how they let chickens run wild everywhere there, and ours might not want to come back home with us when we get ready. Oh, and the last time I was there it seems like there was some kind of "camp" for refugees that had been stopped while trying to float over from Cuba, and they might look at our chickens in a totally different way from what we do.

9. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    How about if we start in Florida, then go for a 2-weeker in New Zealand? I've always wanted to go there!

10. FLOWERPOT

FLOWERPOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Gritstar
    Could you pick me up on the way??
    I want to ride the Harley!!
    Im a good cook and I dont mind cooking for a lot of people!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by