1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Who has chickens that play in the snow?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mommissan, Nov 23, 2011.

1. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    Not me! We got eight inches of the white stuff last night. I opened up the coop door this morning and NOBODY ventured out. DH told me when I got home from work that only one "flew the coop" and PLOP, landed in the snow. She sat there for almost 2 hours before he felt sorry for her and went in the run to save her. She saw him coming and plowed her way through the snow back to the coop. They all stood in the doorway all day and stared at the snow.

Does anyone have any chickens that LOVE snow?

2. Uniontown Poultry

Uniontown Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine don't adore it but they come to tolerate it, then accept it like business as usual. The first dusting throws them a bit, and the first real fall plumb freaks them out. They crowd at the coop door, looking out, venturing forth only about a foot or two, to eat the snow and return to the coop. Once, after a big overnight fall, my bantam roo flew out over everyone's heads, only to disappear completely when he landed. I scooped him out & rescued him. I am a big softie, and when there's a big fall, I will shovel little paths for them. When they can more in the snow, then they go back to their normal behavior pretty quickly.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I too will shovel paths for mine. Mine will venture out if it's just a dusting, but avoid it if it's a "real" snow. Who can blame them?

4. mommissan

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    Yeah, I shoveled a path when I got home. Maybe I should get little snowshoes for them? Ping pong paddles?

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    My games and red jungle fowl do not seem to like it but will get out in it anyway for food. They flying tendencies are all also maximal when snow is four inches or greater. My birds will fly a couple hundred feet from point to point to avoid walking through snow. Before snow hits I train birds that straw bailes demark feeding stations. When the snow hits, the birds fly from bail to bail during course of day for food.

6. chickenbythesea

chickenbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    we haven't let our birds out... I was told that they'd get frost bite on their feet. Am I supposed to let them out? Mine are all just 6 months so they've never seen the white stuff before: if I'm going to let them out I want to be able to watch their reactions. [​IMG]

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    we got 8-10 inches the other day and I always open the doors for them to go out---at night when I lock up..not 1 footprint in the snow! I shoveled pathways right down to the ground the next day-and moved their food and water outside-they run to the food and water and high tail it back in!

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I give mine the choice, every single day, no matter the weather. They choose to be out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. mommissan

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    Okay, snow scraped to the ground, grass exposed, thanks to my snow removal crew; ages 7 & 9 and their little shovels (if I asked them to shovel the walkway for me, you think they would? Hmmph!). NOBODY came out. So, I booted them all out of the coop so I could turn their litter. Well, my best girl walked over me to get back in. They all piled back in as soon as I got out of the way. All the gates are open, and no takers. I think I saw flight tickets to Florida in one of the nest boxes...... hmmmmm

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! [​IMG]

10. lcammack

lcammack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Gritsar, that is a beautiful hen. What kind is she?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by