1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Who has good White Leghorns?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by A.T. Hagan, Dec 22, 2010.

1. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I want to get an order of White Leghorns in for January. These would be working birds, not show, so production and hardiness is where it's at. I'll be selecting breeding stock from them after they've finished a full lay cycle so I want pure W.L. rather than California Whites or Greys. Strain hybrids within the breed are OK.

Anyone have a hatchery they want to suggest?

Thanks!

2. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    I've heard a lot of good things about McMurray's and Ideal's. McMurray has customer reviews so that you can read about others experiences with the various breeds. [​IMG]

I've never had any WLs myself, I prefer brown eggs.

3. chickendude1

chickendude1 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2010
    Morganton North Carolina
    Mucmurray Hatchery for sure !!! I have white leghorns that are 5 years old and are still laying and there from mucmurray [​IMG]

4. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    I have only one white leghorn.I got her as a chick from another white leghorn that I bought from a guy who bought her when she was a chick from MCmurrays.

She is nice.............................and sweet.......and her name is WHITIE!

5. OSUman

OSUman GO BUCKS

Apr 17, 2009
    Central Illinois
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  6. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Hmmmm... The picture for the Hy-line W-36 is the exact same photo as McMurray's "Pearl-White Leghorns": http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/pearl_white_leghorn.html Isn't that kinda odd? [​IMG]

Dang, after reading over McMurray's customer reviews I may add a few to my order... I've been getting many requests for eggs the last couple weeks for Christmas baking, but the hens I have aren't producing very well. Lots of white eggs is better than fewer brown eggs!

7. FF

FF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    Hoovers hatchery has got the best leghorns. I have had some from MvMurrays and they laid descent but my girls have laid an egg evry single day. I usually get 8-10 eggs from 12 pullets in this cold weather. They are bigger than McMurrays too. I dnt know if thats good but its fine with me. My eggs range from large to jumbo. I have had about 7 jumbo eggs that I couldn't close the carton and the lay those maybe 1 time a week. They have very pretty feathers and nice red combs. Plus hoovers prices are a whole lot better than Mcmurrays. You can get a box of leghorns for about $45 from Hoovers. Good luck with whatever you choose.
    http://hoovershatchery.com/html/white.html

8. Medicine Man

Medicine Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2010
    Apple Hill
    Trader Joe's.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by