Who has "Hypotension" (Low blood pressure)? How do you feel?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by kuntrygirl, Nov 2, 2011.

1. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    So many times, we hear about people suffering from High Blood Pressure but we rarely hear about people that have HYPO-tension (Low Blood Pressure). I was not aware about Low Blood Pressure until about 20 years ago when my doctor wanted to put me on a Migraine medication. One of the side effects of this med was that the meds "lowered" the person's blood pressure. So, in order for me to take the meds, I had to go to the doctor's office EVERY DAY for a month to have my blood pressure checked to make sure that it wasn't dropping any lower than it already was.

Are there others out there who have Low Blood Pressure or do you know people who have Low Blood Pressure? If so, do you or they experience any problems?

2. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

I guess when I get mine checked its usually like, 90-100/60, I think that puts me right on the line for hypotension, but no doctor has ever mentioned it to me. My blood sugar after eating is also extremely low, and it can drop even lower very suddenly on me leaving me very dizzy, nauseous, slow-witted, confused, and crabby. Yet the doctors have never expressed a concern about this either... so I don't know if I should worry or not.

3. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

I've never had it diagnosed, but almost every woman in my family has very low blood pressure. It's a real pain, too. [​IMG] I stand up too fast and I get dizzy at the best, and fall over at the worsts.

4. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    DH and I both have had low blood pressure all our lives. One of the best things about being pregnant was that my BP was normal for the first time in my life, and I didn't black out if I stood up too fast. I'm not aware of any long-term side effects to hypotension as there are for hypertension, and that may be why you don't hear much about it. I guess just consider yourself lucky and hope it stays that way?

As a side-note: My high school boyfriend was diagnosed with hypotension and his doctor told him to add more salt to all his food to get the BP up. I advised against it, feeling that developing a taste for salty food could end up leading to hypertension in the future. I don't know if he followed my advice or the doctors but I can guess. We've long since lost touch so I don't know how that situation turned out.

5. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    I have what I believe is POTS (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome). I have hypotension and I am constantly dizzy. There hasn't been one time I haven't been dizzy in the past year. I was dizzy on and off for 2 years but this past year I have been dizzy 24/7. When I get up from a sitting or laying down position I will get worse dizzy wise. I have been to many doctors and have been put on many meds like Florinef, Midodrine, and some other meds that I can't remember the names of. I recently (yesterday) had to go get whats called compresion stockings (really tight stockings that go up to my thighs). It is suppose to help keep my blood flowing. I guess the blood doesn't make it to my head as it should and instead pools in my legs. If I understand it correctly. I also have to drink a lot of water and gatorade as well as increase my salt intake.
    It is definitaly a struggle. I have my good days and my bad days.

6. eggbuster

eggbuster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    My BP is 90-100/60 and I don't have any problems. My kids all have low BP as well and they are doing fine. It seems to be genetic. The only problem I have is trying to tell a Dr. that my Bp is over the top at 110 and I really am sick today.

7. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    My BP is usually anywhere from 95-110 over 50-65. I know when it's really on the low side because I get dizzy and everything goes black if I stand up too fast, but most of the time I feel fine. I'm not sure where the line is that they actually diagnose you with hypotension, but my dr. has never said anything about it to me.

8. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

Quote:I have to convince the doctor that when I have a 98.6 temp I am running a fever. My normal temp is 96.0. So I'm cold, and slow, and crabby when I don't eat. Yay what a prize!

9. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Quote:Same here. Mine was usually around 90-100/ 60-65. It was around 115/80 while pregnant. It did drop to about 80/55 for about 3-4 days after I had each baby, that was the only time my dr ever expressed any concern.

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I struggled with hypotension all my life until I got into my 40s and my blood pressure slowly went up. It nows run about 90/60. Problem was, I needed a medication for another problem but the docs were always reluctant to give it to me because it can lower your BP even more. So I hit my 40s, can finally take the med. I need, and wham! my BP is really low again.
    Sorry you are struggling with it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by