Who has Muscovies hiding out from your city??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by H04, Aug 10, 2010.

1. H04

H04 Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2009
    My small city is stuck in their oooooold ways and originally I wanted 3 hens but I am not even going to attempt them especially knowing that they can be rather loud laying. I know many other non natural sounds are louder but ears WOULD perk up with chickens. I think I have decided on muscovy females . Anyone else have them with neighbors not knowing at all?

2. savingdogs

savingdogs Chillin' With My Peeps

I live in the country and I'm not hiding my muscovys, but they are one of the quietest poultry we have. We also have cayuga which are not especially noisy except the drake.
    Our chickens are noisy....the roo especially of course but our hens are sometimes noisy too. They would not be noisier than the average neighbor's house of course (what, with lawn mowers, motorcycles, dogs and children playing) but if they were a ..................secret.....
    my muscovy would be my quietest ones.

3. H04

H04 Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2009
    Thanks [​IMG]
    Do you happen to know where online I could hear the sound of the female muscovys? I looove the sound of ckicken/hens when they are cooing and was wondering if it was a similar sweet relaxing sound... RELAXATION needed when you have two young sons and baby #3 on the way soon LOL

4. secretquail

secretquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Chapel Hill
    haha! I have 15 quail, and a new baby appleyard duckling. Don't listen to anyone when they say quail are quiet!!! (yup, I know we are talking about ducks, jus sayin...) My baby is still peeping, and in the house 24-7. I wonder how loud he/she will be. Hope the neighbors don't mind, because we are officially not aloud to have any animal other than dogs and cats! shhhh.

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I live in the country, so thank goodness I don't have to hide out. I have 17 muscvoy and 30 that will be hatching in 3 months. I have my hands full. My hens have hatched out about 60 ducklins so far this summer. Many people bought them by the dozens. I hope the next 30 sell as fast as the last batch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by