Who has mutt chickens?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Bornacentury2L8, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Bornacentury2L8

Bornacentury2L8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Cartersville, Ga.
    I'm wondering how many have mutts and how they feel about them? I have11 in the bator due to hatch on the third. They are all crossed with some kind of red.[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2009
  2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I have a couple and they are my best egg layers [​IMG] And they are beautiful! I am going to cross some of my chickens with my blue orp to see what we get. Should be amazing to see!

3. digginchicks

digginchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2009
    Sullivan, Indiana
    I had two mutt roos but i decided they were worthless so I ate them [​IMG]

4. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    I have purebreds and mutts all running together. The mutts are just as large, friendly, and pretty as the purebreds... some are even prettier. And they lay just as well too.

The only mutts that didn't work out well are bantam/full-size crosses. You end up with a medium-sized chicken that lays small to medium eggs. Unfortunately, most customers prefer large eggs.

Kathy in Texas
    www.CountryChickens.com

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

A few of mine are mutts and they are great birds. Out of the 40 something birds I own, I have a handful of crossbreeds. I have my three PoufyHead sisters, who are Cochin/Silkie over Barred Rock; my huge flaming red RIR/Buff Orp hen, my Blue Orp /Buff Brahma hen and my Barred Rock/Blue Ameraucana EE girl. And I just crossed my Blue Orpington rooster over my RIR/Buff Orp and got one of the most beautiful chicks I've ever seen. There are pics under "Raising Baby Chicks" entitled "Dusty...."

6. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Mixed-breed chickens are just as fine as pure-breeds except you can't show them if they don't look like any breed's standard. Some folks think they're extra-healthy, with hybrid vigor. I have many mixed-breeds, the hens are great layers and the roosters make nice dinner guests.

The feature I like best is that they can come in so many different & unusual colors & patterns. In my flock we like to guess who the parents might be.

7. Rooster-Spur

Rooster-Spur Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    I Love mixbreeds.

8. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    EEs [​IMG]

9. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    i have a bunch of mutts. we love them! great layers!

10. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:If you ate them, they were not worthless. They were filling! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by