Who has Naked Neck Turkens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SarahMelisse, Feb 12, 2012.

1. SarahMelisse

SarahMelisse Out Of The Brooder

I absolutely adore Naked Neck Turkens and have recently gotten two to integrate into my existing flock of six. The problem I have run into is that the six (2 Banrred Rocks, 2 Wyandottes, 2 Sexlinks) will not leave the Turkens alone.
    I have tried waiting until dark and slipping them in on the roost, I've tried keeping them in an enclosed pin in the other chicken's run during the day, but nothing seems to work. It's been over a week and the Turkens are no closer to being "one of the flock" than they were on day one.

Does anyone with Turkens have any suggestions? I think I may have to keep them separate since the others seek out their lack of feathers and attack. If you have Turkens, do you have other breeds in the same coop or do you keep them separate?

2. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Hmm. I have eight turkens in with regular chickens and no problems. But it may be because they grew up together and they have a huge coop?

3. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

Same as featherz, my Turken grew up w/ her non-Turken buddies and there were never any issues.

Are you saying they are pecking her naked neck? Does she have any blemishes? That might make them peck. ???

4. SarahMelisse

SarahMelisse Out Of The Brooder

Both sets of chickens are about 1 year old but did not grow up together. That may be why they are outcasts. I think the other chickens see a "problem" with the Turken's naked necks and so seek them out to peck at them. They are normally such friendly birds so I'm a little disappointed that they can't get along.
    The Turkens didn't have any marks or spots on their necks (until now) so I don't think there were any immediate targets... I know chickens will peck at any sore spots or wounds.
    What I'm doing today is just sectioning off part of the run for the Turkens and letting them use our tiny 2 chicken coop permenately. I don't really see any way around it.

5. chicken nanny

chicken nanny Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2009
    I run my turkens with my chickens ...Have no troubles here.... Maybe its the red on the necks, maybe spray a littleBlu coat on there necks to darken it....Worth a try.... Good Luck.....

6. Vamvakas

Vamvakas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    North Branford, CT
    If anything my turkens chickens are the divas of the flock

7. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    My guess it's the normal reactions of established hens towards ANY new hens and not specifically to their naked necks. Only time is the cure, when their aggression wears off to the point they are not wanting to beat the newbies so bad anymore.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by