Who has raised Red Broilers?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Southern Gardener, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Southern Gardener

Southern Gardener Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2008
    Louisiana
    I have 20 that are almost 2 weeks old. I would like opinions from people that have raised them.

I read Harp Turkey Ranch thread on his colored rangers and wondered why he says the red broilers are "junk" in his opinion.

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    My first meat bird experience, I ordered 12 red broilers, and 12 cornishX. By process date, the reds were average of two lbs small than the whites--raised the same. Now I just order the whites.

3. Southern Gardener

May 2, 2008
    Louisiana
    Anyone else???

4. RIVERRAT

RIVERRAT Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2009
    WASHINGTONBORO
    I RAISED RED TOO. BUT AFTER THE 24 LB CHICKEN PIC. I NOW DO WHITES.

5. Southern Gardener

May 2, 2008
    Louisiana
    Quote:Sorry, I don't follow you. . .

6. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Maybe I can help you out a little better. The red broilers are a slower version of the cornish x rocks. They don't seem to gain the weight fast enough for certain producers.... me included. Which is why some may say they are junk or no good.

For me I only use the whites, i've tried a lot of different breeds and colors and nothing compares to the way the cornish x rock puts on weight and nothing compares to the amount of time it takes them to grow.

With that said, the red broilers are more for people that don't mind having them around for that extra 5-7 weeks compared to a cornish x. Now the freedom rangers are a hyped up version of the red broiler. The difference is they have better genetics, forage better, and put on weight better.... they also can handle cold temps pretty well wich makes them hardy.

The reds need a little bit more time, money, effort, and care... not making the meat or the quality of the bird junk... just the overall experience from a producers standpoint. But in the end your going to have a good chicken that taste great... to fully understand the difference... next time order the cornish x or the freedom rangers and do your own comparison...

7. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    Quote:I couldn't have said it any better. I have raised the Red broilers. Its Cornish X's from now own.

8. Towanda

Towanda New Egg

Apr 10, 2009
    Hi,

We raised 50 red broilers last year. We got a straight run. We took most the cocks to the butcher after 10 weeks and they dressed out at 4.5-6 pounds. We took the hens two weeks later and they were 3.5-4.5 pounds. We are ordering more this year, but only getting the cocks. The meat is wonderful - we usually do the bird in a rotisserie and it's better than those you can buy at the store. One bird is 2 meals for my husband and myself, and two carcasses make one pot of stock.

We have looked and looked for an alternative to the cornish cross birds and this is the best we can come up with so far. I refuse to do the cornish cross because of how fragile they are, how dirty they are, they will not forage, and they do not pasture well. I am willing to wait a few extra weeks - not 5-7 weeks like another post - to have a decent sized bird that is in good health and can run around and eat bugs - which makes the meat taste better.

I don't need or want a dressed out 8 pound bird. If I wanted a cornish cross, I could buy it at the grocery store, because that is what is sold for meat birds.

9. Southern Gardener

May 2, 2008
    Louisiana
    Quote:Thanks for the response. I considered ordering the cornish x but after reading the negative responses I changed my mind. I will definitely order the rangers or the cornish x next go round and make up my own mind!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by