1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Who has Red Silkies?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by RAREROO, Dec 5, 2009.

1. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Please post pics of Red Silkies and if anyone knows of a breeder that raises them, please let me know.

Thanks

2. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I would so like to know as well and I don't even like silkies but there is just something about those red ones...[​IMG]

3. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I sold mine out about 2 months ago. They were pretty but needed a lot of work and I had other breeds I preferred to work with. I still have photos of them on my website but don't think the man who bought them from me is going to do much work with them. He just wanted sweet pets for his grand kids.

4. pixie74943

pixie74943 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    also dont like silkies.. but I do like walking incubators that regulate their own temperature and humidity :p

[​IMG]

waiting for the pictures

edited for typos

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  5. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    Cathryn Walden in MI is working on that color. She might have some pics. [​IMG]

6. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Thanks Nadine, were they the Buff/Red colored trio that you sold? Let me know if anyone finds any, I actually prefer pet quality silkies.

7. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    When you say red are you talking about the dark buff color that leans towards red?

8. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I'm really not sure because I don't think I've ever actually seen any, but Ideal and Meyer Hatchery sells Red Silkies, These from Meyer look like they are actually red, not buff http://www.meyerhatchery.com/get_item_dors_red-silkies-straight-run.htm, and Ideal only has this picture of theirs, https://secuservices.com/ideal/newideal/selectproduct.aspx?qty=1&ID=RSB&Product=120 so I don't know what Ideal's really look like and I wouldn't want a full 25 of them and Ideal has other breeds that I would like to fill the order if I had to, But I would like to find someone that has them and that could sell me some eggs sometime.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  9. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Yes there is a true red out there, just very hard to find, and usually not bearded. I got some of Ideals this year along with some of their lavenders, just to see. They said both bearded and non bearded, of course, all were non bearded, and very low on the quality scale, just gave them all to a buddy of mine who just likes yard chickens.
    If anyone pops up here with the true red bearded ones, I'd like on the list as well!
    Aubrey

10. upintheholler

upintheholler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    Bristol Va/Tn area
    [​IMG]
    Crappy pic, sorry... I just got this red bearded roo from Melinda Hudalla who got him from Bobbi Porto. I am looking for red hens/pullets now to go with him. I will get a better pic later today and post.

Donna-Marie

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by