1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Who has Roman geese?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Steve_of_sandspoultry, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

We are thinking of adding Roman's. For anybody that has them what do you think of them?

Steve

2. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    I have one Tufted Roman and hopefully making a road trip to get a couple more in the very near future. I love my one girl that I have. She's super sweet! Even sweeter than my Sebbies.

Laurie

3. Goosehaven

Goosehaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    I have 8 roman tufted geese. All of my females are super sweet and super layers and sitters. All three of my roman ganders are mean, including the two I have raised since they hatched. If I just had Romans I would assume all ganders are mean but I have a Toulouse gander and he has never offered to be mean to anyone. I enjoy all of my geese, even the ganders, so of course I would recommend the Romans [​IMG]

4. laturcotte1

laturcotte1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    We have 2 roman tufted females. Loving, follow me everywhere, 49 eggs last year.

5. mamawolf544

mamawolf544 Unbreakable Heart

Apr 29, 2009
    alvarado, Tx
    I have 3 sitting on eggs right now. I have 4 breeds of geese and all of mine pretty well ignore you. But when someone is sitting all bets are off. And of course they are sitting in 3 different locations and I have ducks sitting in 2 other places. It's dangerous in my yard. [​IMG]

6. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    LOL @ mamawolf

7. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

I have one plain headed roman gander. He's a hoot. He'll run from someone walking through the yard, but try to attack a tractor. He's more hiss than bite and I wouldn't trade him for any other gander.

8. eggbuster

eggbuster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    I have 6 plain headed Roman geese. 1 gander and 4 females are good natured, but the dominant gander turned into a booger when he matured. I figure he's just doing his job and I'll have to fence a goose pasture next year anyways since all that goose crap on the porch just isn't working for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by