1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Who has still air Hova Bator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by winstonsgrrrl, Nov 11, 2009.

1. winstonsgrrrl

winstonsgrrrl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2009
    Ohio
    Getting ready to set my Coturnix quail eggs and just wondering what kind of hatch rate people are getting with the Hova still airs with no turner? I like to know what I'm shooting for. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

My house is not stable enough for them.....

3. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    I just had a chicken egg hatch rate of 4 out of 14 in mine! They had been in an LG with a fan part of the time though so probably not a good comparison. Good luck.

4. NatalieB

NatalieB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2009
    Ashby, MA
    I have not had too much luck---my problem being drop in temps at night. My last hatch I got 3 chicks out of 12. I will take it, but I did order a brinsea in the hope of less temp spikes and calibration of this and that. I want the rhonco of incubation.....just set it and forget it!!!! LOL
    My advice would be to not keep playing with the temp, unless it is way off. Otherwise you will be playing ALL day. I also did dry incubation until day 18 and then sent to humity up high with towels (hot towels) dont use a bowl of water cause I had a chick drown on me. So sad. Hope my rambling helps.........(mine is a still air with auto turner)
    Good luck!!

5. TillinWithMyPeeps

TillinWithMyPeeps Waiting for Spring...

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
    I had a very successful coturnix hatch in my still-air hovabator, I don't remember exact figures, but, you shouldn't have a problem.

6. kooltex

kooltex Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    NE Tx
    Have had very good hatches with mine, but I have a turner. First time hatching had 37 out of 42 chicken eggs hatch, these were not shipped eggs. Hatched some shipped button quail had 20 out of 35 hatch. I like it, I just need something bigger.

7. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I have a hovabator but it has a turner. My house is old and drafty and it has wide temperature fluctuations. I just plugged in my hovabator but I ran an extension cord and put it in the middle shelf of the linen closet and insulated all around it with towels and blankets, but left enough gaps for good air circulation, and put a rubber band around the door knobs so it can't be acccidently left open. I will tell you how well I do in about three weeks! Wish me luck! So far it is holding very steady today at 101 with the hygrometer setting on top of a large piece of hardware cloth on top of the eggs.

8. FreeRange Drulie

FreeRange Drulie Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2009
    With chickens we had 32 out of 41 hatch in the hova bator. We do have an egg turner thoe. But no fan. GL!

9. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    I have a still air with no turner and my hatches are always great...well not always, sometimes they are not as good with shipped eggs, but that has nothing to do with the incubator! [​IMG]

10. missfitch

missfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Marysville Ohio
    just hatched 8 out of 9 in mine, and the last one was full term monster chick, perfect hatch in my books!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by