Who has the answer

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by panner123, Oct 22, 2008.

1. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Last night my seven year old grand daughter asked me, "Why do the chicks in our brooders get poopy butt and those we leave with the hens don't?" Need help on this one, when she got here today she wanted to know what the answer was. And no one had one. Someone, anyone! Does anyone have any ideas or thoughts on this one. I figured I would re-phrase the question instead of bimping the old one.

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    "Poopy butt" is can be caused by several things that make the chick suffer stress. Temp's too hot, too cold, people walking around the brooder, etc... Chicks with mamas don't tend to suffer the stress that chicks are artificially brooded do. If something stresses them, they hide under mama and everything is warm and fuzzy. Artificially brooded babies don't have an escape.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I agree with Chickngurl. I don't think hen brooded chicks have the stress factors that the ones we raise do. Mama hen is always the right temp and fuzzy to boot.

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Yep, I'll third that response. Great explanation ChicknGurl!

Jody

5. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Thank You for a great answer. When she gets here tomorrow I will show her this. I know what she will say, "grandpa, see I told you some people are smarter than you." I had already told her I had no idea what the answer was. Thanks again.

6. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Quote:Thanks, Jody! [​IMG]

Panner123 - You're welcome!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by