Who has the best __________?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by BeardedLadyFarm, Jan 25, 2011.

1. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    I thought it would be helpful to make a place where people can recommend great experiences they've had with proven breeders. I think a lot of us like to try a new breed (or 5) every year or so, and it's sometimes hard to track down breeders who will sell eggs or chicks.

What breeders do you feel have exceptional stock, and have devoted time and love to their particular breeds? Why would you recommend him or her?

Let's keep this friendly. I know there can be controversy amongst the devotees of any breed. If you need the nitty gritty, send someone a PM. No badmouthing publicly.

Maybe for ease of scanning through, try to put the breed in bold, and the breeder in bold as well as the location of this breeder, and any particular reason you like what this breeder does, or why you like their stock. If they have a BYC name why not include that too!

Feel free to post multiple recommendations but kindly list each breed and person on separate posts. It will be easier to scan through if the list grows to any length.

AGAIN, these should be a list of people you PERSONALLY recommend for having top quality stock. No discussion or negative reviews necessary.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  2. BeardedLadyFarm

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    I'll start,

I have ordered Ameraucana eggs and chicks from Jean Ribbeck in Washington State. She's know on byc as pips&peeps which is how I found her. I have been consistently pleased with the egg color she has sent, and the chicks she sent have grown into lovely birds.

She has also been helpful on the phone, and has responded to every email I have sent, and has even checked in with me to see how hatches and birds were doing.

I am particularly fond of her Wheaten's and Blue Wheatens though she has other varieties, and it is clear she does her part to improve the quality of the breed.

3. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Great idea! [​IMG]

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I have ordered hatching eggs of Black Copper Marans from Wynette here on BYC, who also runs Adamson Acres and was very pleased! Of the many sources I've gone to for Black Copper Marans, she is one of the few who give both very dark egg layers, possibly the darkest eggs I've seen came from her, and also some very nice Marans that follow the proposed Standard of Perfection pretty well! Most people just breed for pretty eggs, but hers especially are also very nice in type. I got a pretty good hatch rate and great packaging from the eggs too. We also kept in contact on a frequent basis, before and after I received the eggs. She's very nice to talk to and very honest.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  5. geosheets

geosheets Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Ohio
    Great idea

I got the biggest Jersey Giants I have seen from Bobbi Porto... she is BYC user IndigoEgg. 4 1/2 month old birds I hatched from her eggs are nearly twice the size of 6 month old birds I hatched from other breeders.

6. BeardedLadyFarm

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    Quote:Thanks Illia. I've had pleasant emails with Wynette too, and i'm looking forward to trying some eggs this spring!

7. BeardedLadyFarm

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    I'll do another...

I'm really looking forward to getting some Welsummers this spring from Will Morrow at Whtimore Farm in Maryland.

I have visited the farm, which is just beautifully run. The birds are on pasture every moment of their lives, as they have dogs that live in the pasture and protect them.

Will's Welsusmmer eggs are as dark as many good lines of Marans, and the birds are stunning. He also has some very speckled eggs from his Welsummers, which I'm looking forward to.

I will add he has great B/B/S Ameraucanas, Black/ Blue Copper Marans, Delawares, and Anconas, all of great quality.

8. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    Great idea - keep it going till we get to the breeds i am intersted in! LOL

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I chose Nate Vanwey of WI, BYC SCIcelandics and Royce VanBlaricome, BYC Tailfeathers, Pinkchick, Andre Van't Weistande, Erhard Weihs of Kummerpoultry and all the good ones over the Welsummer threads! Most of them are serious about their Welsummers! Both in BF and LF.

Jean Ribbeck of Pips and Peeps, excellent Ameraucanas and there was another one that is also excellent...Shafer for his beautiful Lavender cockerals. LF only.

Carla (Allenwranch) and Debra Pennington for Spitzhaubens. LF only.

Dick Boulanger (faverolles) and Peter Merlin (pmerlin) and Leisha Comer (Comerpoultry) for their Faverolles! Both BF and LF.

Jhinckle and BamaChicken and that EnglishOrps for their Orpingtons! LF only.

10. kulangi

kulangi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    I could not find users Jhinkle and EnglishOrps on BYC. Can you double check the user name. Thanks

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by