who has the best STANDARD cochins ????

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by dragon, Jul 21, 2008.

1. dragon

dragon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2007
    brainerd mn
    for show quality birds ?

2. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Jamie Matts in NY has some that are as good as any you'll find anywhere.

3. dragon

Apr 3, 2007
    brainerd mn
    Thank you, do you think he could send day old ckicks to my post office ??? (mn)

IF Not . . . . what would be the best hatchery?
    anyone ?

4. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

If you want show quality standard cochins, don't buy from a hatchery. hatcheries birds tend to be much smaller when ful lgrown than the ones bought from show breeders. I have a hatchery standard cochin who I thought was pretty, and lotso f my friends in the area do to, and I remember going to the Stockton show and going [​IMG] Because the actual cochins bred for show were almost TWICE AS BIG and the quality was so obvious, made all the cochins I'd ever seen before look like trash!

If you want to show and are planning on going to shows bigger than a local fair, you need to buy from a good breeder. Lots of breeders, however, don't sell chicks or eggs. They hatch out everything they get and keep them to full grown, because who knows, they could be selling their future best bird, so most good breeders will only sell adults.

Sooooo, good luck! [​IMG]

Try here: http://cochinsinternational.cochinsrule.com/memweb.html
    And
    : http://www.voy.com/14771/

5. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Many breeders will only sell started or adult stock. If you are looking to start a Cochin breeding program join Cochins International you will make great contacts there and should be able to get some beautiful birds. If you want birds that you can show, DO NOT order from a hatchery.

6. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Quote:Agreed. You will NOT get anything near SQ from a hatchery. Contact a reputable breeder and go from there.

7. dragon

Apr 3, 2007
    brainerd mn
    [​IMG]
    thank you all, It's my friend who LOVES Cochin......
    and she just shows at local county fairs........she was wondering who to order from. I doubt she would be interested in big $$$ birds.......and yeah ~ the judge was commenting on her great looks.....but small size !
    well.........thanks for sharing your input everyone.
    I will pass that info along !
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by