1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Who Has The Dominate Dna?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by newchickens2009, Dec 13, 2009.

1. newchickens2009

newchickens2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    BAHAMAS
    THE HEN OR THE ROOSTER? IF I PUT A R.I.RED ROOSTER ON A WHITE LEGHORN HEN, DO I GET WHITE EGGS OR BROWN? A ROCK OR ORPINGTON ROO ON A EE HEN DO I GET BLUE/GREEN OR BROWN EGGS?[​IMG]

2. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    I believe that each parent contributes one gene for the egg color.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    RIR X White Leghorn; brown egg

Rock or Orpington X EE hen: depends either brown/ olive or green.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:One copy of EACH gene relating to egg colour. There are many.

5. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Quote:One copy of EACH gene relating to egg colour. There are many.

Well, I tried. lol I think I may be starting to get a *small* grasp on genetics!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  6. newchickens2009

newchickens2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    BAHAMAS
    Thank You All For The Reply. I Guess I Will Just Have To See What I Get?

7. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Quote:One gene from each parent is passed on to the offspring. The RIR will pass on a brown egg gene and the White Leghorn will pass on a white egg gene. The offspring will have one of each, but the brown egg gene is dominant over the white, therefore, the offspring will be brown egg layers. As for the Orp/EE, it depends. EEs aren't purebred, so you will either get a brown or green egg layer.

8. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    I know just enough about genetics to get myself in trouble , but here goes :

Each parent has two genes for egg color , and contributes one to each offspring . Blue is dominent over white , therefore if the chicken inherents a gene for blue eggs it lays blue eggs . Pure [ homozygous ] for blue eggs can be written as BB and when crossed on a chicken pure for white eggs which we will call ww you will get all Bw and they will all lay blue eggs . These chickens are not pure for blue eggs and that's called heterozygous . Bw crossed on ww will result in offspring of which 50% will be Bw and lay blue eggs , 50% will be ww and lay white eggs . Brown or green eggs are actually white or blue eggs with a stain applied to the outer surface changing its outer appearence ; if you peel the membrane off the insige of the egg you will find its either white or blue . Once you've crossed either a white egg layer or a blue egg layer with a chicken capable of producing brown tint on its eggs that brown tint ability is usually passed on to one degree or another . Most crosses of white egg layers to brown tinted egg layers are going to lay brown tinted eggs , and most blue to brown tinted will lay green .

9. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Brown is not dominant to white; they are not the same genes. There are a dozen or more genes relating to egg colour. White and brown are actually different things. White is the eggshell itself (white is recessive to a blue eggshell). Brown is a coating that is (or is not) "painted" onto the formed shell. If any brown egg genes are passed on from either parent, a brown coating will be applied to the egg. If the not-brown alternatives are present, this coating will not be applied.

10. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    SteveH we were replying at the same time. While I would take issue for the specific letters you've used to describe blue versus white eggshell, your concept is close to accurate. The actual letters used are O for blue and o for white--O stands for oocyanin, which I may not have spelled correctly, but it should be close [​IMG]

O, blue, is the dominant allele and o, not-blue (white) is the recessive allele. Each chicken has two of these: O/O, O/o+ or o+/o+. The first two will produce a blue eggshell; the latter a white eggshell. Then there are a number of genes that can add coatings or tints to the outer surface of the eggshell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by