who has the most roosters?

tdgill

Crowing
13 Years
Jan 28, 2009
Cecil Co. MD - 5Yrs. Chickens 4Yrs. Ducks
I just LOVE roosters...sooner or later I am gonna have to find me a bigger patch of land.

A friend of mine has ALL roosters. They wondered why no one was laying any eggs. I forget where they got them from, but yep - they got seven. And all seven are roos. I am happy to say that they kept all seven, and they live happily together. They have no other chickens.

So tell us your multiple roos stories!

I have One White Orp Rooster, 1 Buff Orp Rooster, 1 Barred Rock Roo, 2 EE Roo's, 1 blue cochin, 1 RIR, 1 japanese white black tail, 3 mottled jap banties, Oh, and 1 silverlaced Rooster! And thats AFTER I downsize! We love them all. We also have matching hens for all our boys.... And the kids want to add more breeds!

Not a breeder yet, but we plan on it. All of the chickens are under 1 year of age, so we've been keeping them in the coop together. As soon as we're ready to breed them I figured I could make smaller little coops with runs to keep the breeds seperate while breeding, then coop them back together in the winter while it's cold... It's just an idea right now... I chose family and small child freindly breeds, that are cold and heat hearty, and produce lots of eggs. with the exception of the jap. banties.. They're my little ankle biters! They can be a little aggresive, they have that small dog syndrome, they think they're great big ferocious roosters! My kids insisted on them to show at 4H..

Last edited by a moderator:
I had one rooster to start. He was injured in a coon attack and we had to put him down, so I haunted the Local Sales Network (like craig'slist) and found someone who had buff rock roosters available. I told him I wanted one, and we drove fifty miles to get him. They were so pretty I ended up getting two of them (don't ask me why!!).

Earlier in the summer, I had a hen who had gone broody and I let her set on one egg (again, don't ask me why). That egg had hatched into what I thought was a pullet. But about a week after I brought the two buff rocks home, pullet started developing hackle feathers. So now I have three roosters and seven hens. I guess I should be grateful that I only left one egg under the broody, or I could have even more roos. They all get along well; the younger roo follows the two older ones around like a little brother tagging along. One of the buff rocks is definitely head roo, but the other two haven't challenged him yet, and he's actually very subtle about displaying his dominance. You really have to watch the flock for a while to tell who's in charge. Hope it lasts.

Right now, I have 5 RIR banty roos, 1 standard RIR roo, 1 Brown-red MGB, 1 light blue brown dutch, 1 birchen OEGB, 1 birchen MGB, and 1 black dutch. Needless to say, I am grateful for neighbors who like my roos.

Angie

Last edited:
I have 3 'big' roos. My Jersey Giant rooster who is the head of everything, and the Andalusian who is close if not closing in on being head roo. They both get to spend the day out in the yard with the girls and I see both breeding all girls of laying age. The girls prefer the Giant roo, even though he is really way too big for them. I have a Rhode Island Red roo who is too rough with the girls and is being kept in a pen during the day alone. He goes into the coop with the others at night.......until I can find him a new home (or pot!), he will continue to be separated.

I also have 11 x 6-7 week old cockerels that are crosses between the Giant and my Leghorns and RIR girls. They are currently still in the brooder shed and should be leaving for their own homes (aka stewpots) asap. Actually I have a post in the BST section now, if anyone wants any (hint hint). I am considering keeping 1 of the white boys, as I want to sell my blue Andalusian and think it would be neat to have a White Giant (cross) to go with my Black Giant.

I also have three brahma chicks (2 buff, 1 light). I know one Buff is a boy, not sure on the other. Hoping the Light is a girl, but not sure on that one either. I will keep all 3 just in case, and hopefully the Buff will be a "keeper", and the other two will be girls.

I definitely prefer only 1 Rooster, but my Giant doesn't seem interested in servicing all of the girls other than his favorites. So, I may try to keep a 2nd, but so far, neither of my older boys is really fitting in....both are too annoying to the hens. So I would prefer to have 2 rooster, but technically right now I have 15. LOL.

I have 4, but I've used my inlaw's house as a dumping grounds of sort for my roos from my st runs
lol.png
They have 9 now, a cute little bachelor flock and they all get along great. No hens, just roos, and good pest control! It's a gorgeous group of boys
wink.png

I just gave away 1 doz. and have atleast 6 more that have to go!!! That does not include the 8 that will be staying in the henhouse and garage over the winter!
wink.png
Does that tell you anything about hatching out roosters!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom