Who has their Hens raise to chicks, instead of incubating?

I use both. Hens and incubators, and sometimes a mixture. Like right now I'm hatching the chicks out in the incubator then giving them to a hen. This isn't ideal but all the eggs had detached air cells so they have to be incubated upright in egg cartons.

I'm using a broody.
Mainly because I bought a new hen and saw she was kept with a rooster, I just happen to have a broody girl at the time so slipped the first eggs the new girl laid under the broody. Every one hatched, they are two weeks old now and snuggled under their broody mumma as I type.

I have done it both ways... Personally, broody is less care, but the incubator is way more fun.
lol.png

I sold my incubator and bought 4 new Silkies instead - 6 Silkies total. I have one Silkie raising 11 chicks and another on 11 eggs. I would like to get a cabinet incubator this coming year, but for right now, I like my Silkies.

Quote:
Marek's is not spread through eggs. So if the exposed hens hatch the eggs, they may all die off.

So now it's only incubator, vaccinating, and quarantining for a month or two. Or buying hatchery day olds that are vaccinated.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom