1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Who has their Hens raise to chicks, instead of incubating?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PartridgeRooster, Nov 10, 2011.

1. PartridgeRooster

PartridgeRooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    I don't incubate but put eggs under my broody hens that have proven to be good mothers.

2. guinea fowl galore

guinea fowl galore Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    I use both. Hens and incubators, and sometimes a mixture. Like right now I'm hatching the chicks out in the incubator then giving them to a hen. This isn't ideal but all the eggs had detached air cells so they have to be incubated upright in egg cartons.

3. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    I'm using a broody.
    Mainly because I bought a new hen and saw she was kept with a rooster, I just happen to have a broody girl at the time so slipped the first eggs the new girl laid under the broody. Every one hatched, they are two weeks old now and snuggled under their broody mumma as I type.

4. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    I have done it both ways... Personally, broody is less care, but the incubator is way more fun. [​IMG]

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Unfortunately, I can't hatch under my silkies (bought eggs) because of Marek's. I will miss it.

6. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

[​IMG] I do...and I also will brood my mail-order chicks under a foster broody. Easy, easy, easy....that is how I like things to happen.

7. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Which have Marek's? The silkies or the eggs?

8. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    I sold my incubator and bought 4 new Silkies instead - 6 Silkies total. I have one Silkie raising 11 chicks and another on 11 eggs. I would like to get a cabinet incubator this coming year, but for right now, I like my Silkies.

9. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Quote:Marek's is not spread through eggs. So if the exposed hens hatch the eggs, they may all die off.

So now it's only incubator, vaccinating, and quarantining for a month or two. Or buying hatchery day olds that are vaccinated.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  10. waterchicken

waterchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    I'll do both if I can, but I don't really care which one I use. [​IMG]
    I just make sure I got my records straight. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by