Who has tried Baby Cakes?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mstricer, Mar 22, 2011.

1. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Has anyone else tried these and think they work? I was using it with my CX's and think it works. I will be doing round 2 to determine if it's just not me wanting it to work vs actually working. I'm going to also get their Foragecake for my layers in their run.
    Michele

2. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    What are baby cakes?

3. Resolution

Resolution Chillin' With My Peeps

They are amazing! Makes for a far cleaner brooder and healthier chicks, especially useful for preparing chicks for being moved from the constant temperatures of the brooder to outdoors. Gives them something to do and keeps pheasants chicks from pecking at one another. Baby peacocks seem to grow a bit faster on it.

4. berniezahm

berniezahm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    Unfortunately that still doesn't answer the question, "what are baby cakes?'[​IMG]

5. Yashar

Yashar New Egg

Oct 18, 2010
    Oak Hill, New York
    I think you would call it suet. Specially formulated for chicks.

6. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    Mine loved the Forage blocks but didn't like the baby cakes. They left them entirely untouched...don't know why.

I've found that they eat the Purina Flock Blocks the best. They ate every bit of them! I put them up on a cement paver so they don't get into the shavings and get covered up and spoil.

All of these products are like bird seeds and other nutrients bound together by either a gelatin or animal fat product like suet.
    Hope that answered your questions :)

7. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    I love the Baby Cakes! At first my chicks were a little afraid of them, but I ended up scraping up the sides a bit to show them that it was edible and they went nuts over it!!! I left mine hanging in the brooder until it was all gone! I also saved the hanger thinking that I might be able to use it one day if I decide to make my own forage cakes.

8. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    My last batch of chicks REALLY loved the baby cake I got them, so I went back to the co-op to get another for my next batch, they dont carry them anymore :( I got them a pecker wrecker (mostly because I thought the name was funny :p ), they dont look the same as the baby cakes so hopefully the chicks like it...

9. Resolution

Resolution Chillin' With My Peeps

Ameliorated Nut Dough Suet enriched with crustacean meal, turmeric, other spices, cranberry seeds and canary seed. They have DE in them as well.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  10. Maggiesdad

Maggiesdad Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2011
    Central Virginia
    My Euskal Oiloak Love these!

I can't leave it in with them for long though, they will absolutely destroy it, staying with it until it is gone... They're worse than my Black Lab with a rawhide bone, LOL.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by