Who heats their house with wood?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Chickencoop1996, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Chickencoop1996

Chickencoop1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    We have an outdoor wood boiler that we can burn any wood in green,dry,cardboard etc and a fire place we haven burnt oil for almost 3 years and haven't paid a dime for wood we have gotten it for free. my dad has heavy equipment and clears house lots and gets all the wood for free we get hot water, heat and heat the pool all summer with it. Do you heat you house with wood some or all

2. tay_boe

tay_boe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Wow! It was 101+ here today it's hard to even think of heating a house. We don't burn wood in those very few weeks of cold though.

3. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I burn with wood. I use it almost exclusively all winter long, but keep the thermostat to my furnace at a low temp setting so if I leave and the wood stove goes out, it will kick on so my pipes don't freeze. Rarely happens. Also at this time of year, I am sick of starting the wood stove, so I'll use the furnace for those few chilly nights.

4. first time farmer

first time farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    We heat with wood. There are weeks in the winter where The wood stove never goes out. When wwe need to clean it we let in die down a little push the hot stuff aside and take as much ash as we can. Its funny in the summer to see all the spots where my little brother was a lazy and dumped the ashes in the yard and covered it with snow. I think we went through 4 and a half cords this year

5. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    We run our woodstove 24/7 through most of the winter. I live in SC so our winters are nothing like they are further north, but we do go through a good bit of wood. Fortunately we live on 56 acres so we have wood when we need it, as well as friends and family members that call when they have a tree cut down, etc. We don't pay for wood. The woodstove can be messy, but it certainly is nice to come in from the cold and stand in front of the blowers and warm up quickly!

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

We heat exclusively with wood in our Hearthstone Soapstone wood stove. Best investment we ever made. If we ever moved, would buy another one for the new place.

7. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Yep, our furnace can run on both wood and nut coal. Coal is nice since it doesn't need to be stoked for hours and hours and hours. The downside is, is that it is a fossil fuel and can be rather fussy since it has specific needs. We do have a propane furnace set at 50 degrees, so it kicks in so the house doesn't fall below that and freeze pipes. But we used barely any propane the last winter, since we were burning wood.

8. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    I wanted to try one of those rocket stoves to heat our home and greenhouse with. [​IMG]

9. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    If we didn't we would freeze to death! Wood heat is the only thing we use in the winter and we use it usually for every month that has an 'R' in it and we even needed it in May this year!

We get our wood free too. My husband works for the county road and bridge dept and we get wood by the dumptruck loads!

it is plenty warm here today too and for all of you that are really hot today take a look at this pic-

We would have froze the winter of 2007 if we hadn't had wood to burn. No power for 17 days:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by