Who here has Aquariums? Share with us!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by secuono, Dec 25, 2010.

1. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    I have kept fish for almost 2 years now. We had a 20gal when we were kids. My father stocked it with all sorts of fish and fake plants. When it started leaking[because my brother messed with a tube] we took the fish to a petstore and said our goodbyes. Fish keeping has been in the back of my mind ever since. A few years ago, still living with my mother right out of high school, the family went to visit grandma and I wanted to stay behind. This gave me the opportunity to get frogs! I wanted them since 8th grade and we all went to Poland. I bought a huge 90gal break down tank where you put it together yourself. I found tiny froglets out in the yard, pinky nail sized. At first they lived in a 10g, then 20g, lastly the 90g. I spent a fortune on lights, heat, dirt, plants & food. Last year, I had to find them a new home. I was buying 4000 crickets a month to feed them and it was a lot of fun. One day, I will have frogs again.
    Then 2 years ago, in a huge mess and blur, fish came into my life. From a 10g to 20, 30, 55 and now a 90g real aquarium. All my tanks are fully planted with driftwood.
    I have a 20 gallon long with 4 Oto catfish, 5 German Blue Rams, snails galore and one male Double tail Betta.
    A 40gal breeder with 6 Australian Rainbowfish, random Platy, 2-3 brown Bristlenose Plecos, Dojo Loach and a Clown Pleco.
    90gal with a P. J. Pleco, Rainbow Shark, Opaline Gourami, 7 Angelfish, brown BN Pleco, 25 Neon Tetra, 6 Green Cory cats and a male Crown tail Betta.
    A tiny Pico tank planted but no animals. It's a 2.5in cube.

Here are a few pictures of them. Enjoy and share!!
    90g wrapped for winter. 2nd is an older pic, plants are very full now-a-days and the algae is clear.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Old pic of the 90g before I revamped it!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20 long. Tall middle plant is moved out to make room for the Rams.
    [​IMG]

Old 10g. It's taken down and I have two of these for sale.
    [​IMG]

Rainbow shark male having fun.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Male Opaline.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

An Oto being cute.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Koi Angel.
    [​IMG]

Mr. Pleco, 8in male.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dojo.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gold Angel.
    [​IMG]

Marble Angel.
    [​IMG]

Pearlscale Clown Angel.
    [​IMG]

Dark Marble Angel.
    [​IMG]

Blind Gold Angel.
    [​IMG]

Gold Pearlscale with no ventral fins Angel.
    [​IMG]

Rainbowfish.
    [​IMG]

Crowntail.
    [​IMG]

Doubletail.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Green Cory, they like to breed.
    [​IMG]

Clown Pleco.
    [​IMG]

Albino BN Pleco.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Brown BN Pleco.
    [​IMG]

Neon Tetra.
    [​IMG]

Rams.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Great photos! I have one albino tiger oscar in a 30 gallon tank. My plecostamus died [​IMG] I am looking to get rid of my whole setup. I may see if the pet store wants him back. Since the kids have lost interest in the fish, so have I. He has been with us for several years though. Do you know how long those fish live? I have no clue [​IMG] I kept thinking the poor boy might kick off since his pleco just died last year, but he hasn't, and he is still very healthy. I just guessed maybe their lifespans were close to the same. I think I've had him...4 years now.

3. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Quote:Well, one Oscar needs at least a 75g tank, but do best in pairs with a tank 100g or more, grow to around 12-14in, water at 78 -82 degrees F. They can live anywhere from 10 to 18yrs. Plecos vary in size to how long they live. Some are only 5in max, while others can grow over 2ft.
    If you go to http://www.aquariacentral.com/ or http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/ , I'm sure you can find someone near you who would love to adopt him.

4. vebyrd36

vebyrd36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2010
    New Ringgold Pa
    I'll post pics this afternoon of a 20 and 55 gallon.

5. vebyrd36

vebyrd36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2010
    New Ringgold Pa
    I'll post pics this afternoon of a 20 and 55 gallon.

6. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Quote:Well, one Oscar needs at least a 75g tank, but do best in pairs with a tank 100g or more, grow to around 12-14in, water at 78 -82 degrees F. They can live anywhere from 10 to 18yrs. Plecos vary in size to how long they live. Some are only 5in max, while others can grow over 2ft.
    If you go to http://www.aquariacentral.com/ or http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/ , I'm sure you can find someone near you who would love to adopt him.

Thanks, I know I needed a bigger tank for him....just can't afford it right now, and really NEED to rehome him [​IMG] He is around 11 inches long NOW, and really should have a better home, but I haven't been able to find anyone to take him and I have looked a LOT. I'll use those links to look too now. Thanks for that [​IMG] WOW 10 18 years!!! [​IMG] He's giving me the fish stink eye right now [​IMG]

7. Mak

Mak Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    I'll have to go looking for some pics of my tanks and pond.
    But I just wanted to say- I've got an albino bushynose, too, as well as a veil tail bushynose. Really cool fish!

8. bagendhens

bagendhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Outside the Boundries
    my cichlid tank.
    its kind of a mishmosh at this point was supposed to be an all male peacock tank, but im a softie and its now mostly rescued fish lol

[​IMG]
    "freckles" a blueberry OB
    (tank is side on from the end)
    you can also see the origional tiger barbs (rescued from a flushing), theres only 1 remaining. [​IMG] no the cichlids didnt eat them lol

[​IMG]
    "OB1 kenobi", a red zebra x peacock otherwise known as an orange blotch
    (hes the bossy one)

[​IMG]
    "little red" red zebra, and "ziggy" a lone tiger barb (who suprisingly holds his own)

[​IMG]
    little reds "big brother" big red also a red zebra and almost impossible to tell apart out of context, big red is about 1/4 an inch bigger

[​IMG]
    "spangle" a small red jewel. whos fairly reserved but very teritorial about his plant lol

[​IMG]
    "Gigantor" a blood red parrot cichlid who is huge. he was being beaten and chewed on by an oscar and is still missing scales from the ordeal. hes triple the size of the other cichlids but is so slow, they leave him alone, he couldnt catch them if he tried lol
    if you look close youll also see "blue" in the background, not sure what he is but he was in a tank marked "ast cichlids" with 3 oscars who were trying to eat him.

you can also see Ob1 kenobies head behind the ship wreckage if you look close [​IMG]
    once i get my own place id like to give Gigantor his own 55 gallon and a couple of buddies (and mabe some dither fish)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  9. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    I've had no luck with those barbs either, they always got sick or randomly turned up dead...
    Love the other fish, though!

10. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    I have a 30 gallon tank with african cichlids in it. i currently have 1 parrotfish 1 HUGE male jewel 1 male ahli cichlid 1 female ahli cichlid 1 yellow lab cichlid and 1 purple cichlid that is purebred but i cant remember the name of the breed.

[​IMG]

to the left is my parrotfish the yellow lab in the middle and my male ahli in the right. It is IMPOSSIBLE to get all of them in 1 pic.

i really want to know how many of you have fish that breed in your aquarium. That was my main goal for getting cichlids. But so far the only pair i got was a ahli pair but they arent known for breeding that well...
    i used to have some aquatic frogs too but they got sucked up in my tank filter..... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by