Who here has let their broody brood in the main coop/run?

junior67

Free Ranging
Jan 29, 2021
MA
my broody has been on eggs for 19 days (day 19 started about 5 hrs ago). So chicks due to hatch on Tue. She has 2 eggs that have looked good when I candled but have only peeked a couple times. She went back on the wrong nest today and was off for about 2.5 hrs before I could get her onto the right one. so I did candle before I moved her back. saw veins in the lighter egg but didn't notice movement (but read that is normal at this stage), medium brown egg is a bit harder to see in so saw chick but no veins or movement. I also have 1 egg in the incubator so my daughters and I can hopefully see one hatch which I will then try to give to my broody after.

but right now she is in the regular coop. She has been a great broody (besides going back to the wrong box recently which she did at the beginning and then stopped and started again here and there a couple days ago. Yesterday she went to the right box no issues. She got off early this am for about 10 maybe 15 min and went back to the right box but here and there she screws up. I know being a good broody doesn't mean a good mom so I am prepared if that happens as well.

Just want to hear how things went with others that let their boodys hatch in with the rest of the crew. I already feed all flock but feed pellets. Should I get some all flock crumble and just put that in a lower feeder for the chicks? I have 3 week old chicks in a brooder in the coop so I do have chick food too but know the others will all eat that one as well. I have a ramp (wide and it has rungs) down to my run. Should I put the chick food in the coop for a couple days? I don't have food in my coop besides in the brooder right now. should I put water in there for a couple days?

Will my broody stop getting up once they internally pip? is there any way to know when they do?? I have a camera in my coop so I can see in the nest box.

Any and ALL advice on what i need to know would be GREAT!

Most of mine brood in the main coop. Whether or not it works out is a completely different story. Sometimes it's great, some times it doesn't work
I don't have a 2nd coop but may be able to block off a section of the coop for her and the chicks or should I just take the chicks and let her stay with the group if it doesn't work?

I let my broodies go into the coop after hatch. The hen may have a small scuffle or two but the chicks are mostly ignored. The longer you wait to put a broody back in a coop the harder it will be for the mom to be accepted back. I feed Purina flock raiser crumbles with oyster shells on the side when chicks are in the coop.

I let my broodies go into the coop after hatch. The hen may have a small scuffle or two but the chicks are mostly ignored. The longer you wait to put a broody back in a coop the harder it will be for the mom to be accepted back. I feed Purina flock raiser crumbles with oyster shells on the side when chicks are in the coop.
Thank you Mine has been in the coop the whole time. She takes her breaks out with the flock, sees them when they come in to lay and so far no issues (but also no chicks to protect). I don't want to have to keep her apart from the flock at all if I can help it. I have to worry about integrating chicks (that I bought 3 weeks ago) into the flock so don't want to have to worry about re-introducing a hen as well. LOL

ok that is what I feed anyways is the flock raiser but pellets and oyster shells on the side. I will get some crumble this week (can give chick food if they come before I get to the grain store) and put down a feeder with the crumble as well.

do you feed in the coop normally or in the run? I normally ONLY have food in the run. should I put some in the coop the first few days?

Back
Top Bottom