Who here is into martial arts?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by phasianidae, Nov 18, 2011.

1. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    I am trying to learn Judo and SAMBO. All self-taught currently. It must be working as last week I took down my nineteen year old older brother who is in the National Guard and trained for hand-to-hand combat [​IMG] SAMBO is really awesome, heres a video:

2. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Oo! Ill send what's his face over here! I believe he is into martial arts!

3. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    American Kenpo here. I really, really love our (husband does it too) instructor and class. The atmosphere is one of patience and encouragement. The philosophy of it is as interesting to me as learning the techniques and system.

4. Mountain Man Jim

Mountain Man Jim Chillin' With My Peeps

I've practice Aikido on and off for years. I love the art and the people are great. It has some similarities with Judo but, it's less competitive.

You really needs to practice with an experience instructor and group. An instructor because you don’t want to learn bad habits. A group because you need a practice partner and to train with people of different builds. Heck, how would you do a judo throw with a partner.

Jim

5. phasianidae

Nov 9, 2010
    Thanks for the replies!

Mountain Man Jim, I really would like to practice with a group and instructor but I dont know of any around here and time is really limited with work, school, and chickens. Hopefully someday.

6. P-Funk

P-Funk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Franktown
    That picture makes you look like you just caught a left hook from Mike Tyson.

7. phasianidae

Nov 9, 2010
    Quote:L...O...L...

8. P-Funk

P-Funk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Franktown
    Playin, man. I studied a form of martial arts for years that I still cant spell. It's a mix of aikido and jujitsu. I'll take a shot at it, Aikijitsu? It's taking an attacker down in one move. I can pronounce it and do it, just not spell it...

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  9. phasianidae

Nov 9, 2010
    Quote:Sounds cool, I'll have to look into it.

Has anyone here ever been in a situation where they had to use their moves on someone? (other than in training of course)

10. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    I instinctively used an upward block on a past dog, and it most likely saved my face. Unfortunately, we found out a dog we adopted had a form of epilepsy that caused him to have random outbursts of extreme (fear based) aggression. I was sitting down, and he was sitting at my feet wagging his tail. The (non-convulsive) seizure was about a second long, at which point he lunged, snarling and salivating heavily, straight at my face to bite it. I caught him just under his chin with a block, and was able to stand up so that I just got a light bite on my arm (held in an inward block) after that. Because he was my dog and I could tell he was not in his right mind, a calming voice eventually was able to be registered with him, at which point he went belly up and cried and whined, and I was able to leave the room safely. Several of our instructors and students have had to use their training on people though, but it does not always progress to a physical fight. Kenpo utilizes non-threatening body language that also can serve as initial blocks and strikes, so the idea is to get out of there without a fight if at all possible. Some of our members are cops, and they especially have reported the techniques to be helpful. My husband works in a therapy program for (violent) teens, and has found the body locks and blocks taught in the program to be insufficient. He was able to use a kenpo technique to subdue a male student who came at him with a punch to the face out of nowhere. I don't like him working there, but feel much safer knowing he has that sort of training to fall back on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by