Who here locks there coop with a "lock"?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CrazyChickensEverwhere, Jun 14, 2011.

1. CrazyChickensEverwhere

CrazyChickensEverwhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    I was wondering how many people lock there coop up, What I mean by locking it up is.. you have a lock on it

2. Kat's Silly Chickens

Kat's Silly Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    South Central Texas
    Not here yet, haven't had any attempts of theft.
    Both coop doors and run door have latches, but no padlock.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  3. BantamoftheOpera

BantamoftheOpera Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Southern Maine
    Coop and run are both under lock. I didn't want smart preditors to find their way in. I also figure that with the way the economy is if people see a source of free food they'll take it, don't want to see that happen to my flock.

4. Shannon33

Shannon33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Eastern Shore, VA
    I do. I haven't had any problems yet but someone told me raccoons can work latches so I went with a lock.

5. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    I do, due to the two legged predator a few years back that took a few silkie hens and tried the buff laced polish roo, but only got all of his tail. [​IMG]

6. hcarr1234

hcarr1234 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2011
    I do,mostly to keep grandsons from letting them out!

7. mike n deb

mike n deb Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2011
    just a block centered on a screw at the top of the door to keep the shorter grandkids from going in alone

8. EncinoMan

EncinoMan Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2011
    Encino
    On my coop, each door has both a sliding latch and a lock hasp that is secured with a screw-down carabiner type ring where the padlock would go. The sliding latches are mounted very tightly, and take a good bit of strength and effort to unlock. The pop-door is further secured with a locking pin, designed for securing sliding glass doors.

My girlfriend has a hard time getting into the coop or run, any raccoon or possum smart and agile enough to get in is probably deserving of a chicken dinner. (Ain't gonna happen!)

9. CrazyChickensEverwhere

CrazyChickensEverwhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Yeah. I just got a lock on my serama coop, my big coop, and my feed shed. I got locks because a half of a 50 pound bag of feed took a walk with a 2 legged predator. Now there is locks on everything....

10. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    I haven't had any problems yet and I don't have a lock, but then again I've only had my chickens out for 3 months [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by