Who here milks a small breed goat?

miss_thenorth

Songster
12 Years
Dec 28, 2007
SW Ont, Canada
Can you tell me about how much milk you get , how they are to milk, how much milk they give. Basically an info on milking a small breed goat--(nigerian, pygmy)

Thanks so much!!!

I have pulled nearly a gallon from an over filled Pygmy, and I have milked several each day to feed other babies. Typically, I get just under a quart a day. I also had Alpines for a while, and what I discovered is the Alpines were a better dollar for dollar investment when it came to milk. I got a little over a gallon from each Alpine doe, which breaks down to feeding 6 Pygmy does to match the milk produced by one Alpine. Dollar for dollar the Pygmys were not the way to go for milk. Good thing I love them any way.

I get two quarts a day from one of my mini-manchas (a first freshener). My other doe had a bad bout of bloat about a week ago and her production has gone way down. Before the bloat however, she was also giving two quarts a day.

I don't have a hard time milking my girls at all as far as teat size goes. My younger doe has larger orifaces than my older one so even though her teats are slightly smaller, it is faster to milk her out.

I have a pygmy and I also have small hands, so the teat size is not an issue.... I get almost 16oz a day from my doe.

I also only milk once a day... I'm sure if I milked twice a day that she'd give me more....

Thanks for all your help. I am currently looking at some small goats, and while they will be used for milk, they will also be pets too. I was just curious to know what the consensus was for milking these goats. i think from your responses, and my reearch, I have decided to get them.

Of the two breeds, Nigerian Dwarf and Pygmies, the Nigies are considered a dairy breed - Pygmies are not. Thus, if you get Nigis from a good quality milk line you would do better than with a Pygmy.

The mini-breeds (Mini LaMancha, Mini Nubian) will do even better in giving milk than the two above.

All of them make great pets.

Have fun.

I have a Mini Nubian and she gives almost a gallon. Six months after freshning she will still give at least 2 quarts. Very easy to milk too. Better teats than the Nigis. I love Nigerians also. Pygmies are meat goats and Nigis are miniature dairy goats. Be sure to get a buddy for your goat, they are herd animals and are unhappy being alone. Maybe two does or a doe and a wether. Good luck, they are fun and loving. The milk is great. Nigis have a high butter fat content in their milk and it is very rich.

I have the smaller breed and larger...Pygmys are basically considered a meat type goat but can be milked if you have the time to do it. I have Nigis, Alpines, Nubians and La Manchas.

Hi,

I get a quart and a half every day from my one Nigerian doe. She has small teats, but I'm getting used to them. I do find gently pulling down, while I squeeze helps me get longer drawn out sprays of milk. (that's just extra info...) I'm really new at this, though.

Back
Top Bottom