who hisses?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jujubean99, May 22, 2010.

1. jujubean99

jujubean99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Is hissing at other ducks or critters a unisex duck thing or is it a male duck thing? If it is a male duck thing, this could really help me figure out genders!

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    My rouen duck hisses, but she's broody. You should be able to tell by their quacks, girls are very quacky, boys are more quiet. Their's is kind of like they are hoarse, very raspy sounding. If you are talking hissing like a goose hisses, I don't know. Like I said, the only one of mine that does that is my broody rouen. [​IMG]

3. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    When the chickens try to mob my ducks and steal their food, all the ducks hiss, boy and girl. [​IMG]

Also, like shelleyd2008 said, a broody duck will hiss at you if you get too close. It doesn't really sound like a hiss, but they open their mouths and sort of breathe out, leaning towards you, like they're saying "Don't you DARE!".

So, I don't think it's a gender specific thing. How old are the ducks you're trying to sex? Boys sound like raspy, whispery glockenspiels, and girls make a loud, honking "QUACK!". [​IMG]

4. jujubean99

jujubean99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    The ducks are about 3 weeks old, and they are bantams. Darn, I was hoping I could figure out genders early! It is easier to tell with chickens, the boys display boyish behavior much earlier than duckies

5. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    my scovies hiss. my hen hissed a lot when she was broody too. she hated me and everyone else for that matter. male scovies make a hissing noise when they talk. my drake walks around hissing when i'm outside with him. he loves his mommy soo soo much!!

6. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    It's fairly easy to learn how to vent sex ducklings. I am not sure how long you can use this method, how old the ducklings are when you can no longer do this. I know some folks prefer vent sexing ducklings with a little size to them, like 1 or 2 weeks maybe, but I don't know if you can do it with 3-week-olds. When they're around 7-8 weeks their voices start to sound different, the girls find their quacks.

7. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    My duck Ming Mei hisses at thing she just doesn't like or appreciate. lol. Like the iodine bottle when she had bumble foot... the other day she hissed at my vitamin/pill holder (I grabbed it while she was sitting on my lap and proceeded to peck at it hissing) goofy duck....

Here's a video of her hissing at the iodine bottle-

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by