1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Who is Kelly Cratty?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by EweSheep, Dec 25, 2010.

1. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Trying to get some story about him and his impact on the Welsummers. Anyone got any feedback or stories or some kind of bio about him? I would love to know how he got into Welsummers and how much of an impact he made.

He is also well known for Marans and Barnvelders.

2. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Hi!

Mr. Kelly Cratty is a breeder of Welsummers, Barnevelders and Marans. He is/was located in Clarksville PA. (I believe that he now resides in West Virginia?) and his farm in PA. is/was Seven Creeks Farm. I have found it very hard to find alot of information about him and how he got started with his birds, but I do know that he collected many different lines of birds. Sorry this is all I know, hope someone who knows more about how he got his start and where will come by and share. [​IMG]

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I am going to look him up and see if he would be willing to be "interviewed" as one of the Welsummer breeder in the History section. Like the who's who in the Welsummer breeders of yesterdays!

Dale Cunningham would be the one I am going to try to find some information....he is either very very old OR deceased.

4. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Quote:=============
    Last I heard, Kelly Cratty lives in clarion county, clark pa.
    Best,
    Karen Tewart

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Finally got a hold of him, he no longer lives in PA.

6. pinkchick

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Finally got a hold of him,

[​IMG]

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Thanks to you Pinkchick!

Presently he is writing a "report" on how he started with his birds but going back even futher when he was very young.

8. pinkchick

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] Can't wait to for that read!!!!!!!!!! Exciting!

Now to find Dale Cunningham! [​IMG]

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Nate probably will try to find him if I haven't gotten that far. We are both doing some research, tracking down breeders or if we end up having one that passed away, we can either talk to the people they were friends with or relatives.

I would have loved to interview Harry Shaw Jr but such a brief time we emailed each other, it was too short. He was a very nice guy!

10. xjcdb8coach

xjcdb8coach New Egg

May 7, 2012
    Missouri
    I know this is an old thread but is Kelly still raising Marans. How did you get in touch with him?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by