Who is laying the first egg contest. We have a winner!! #42&#47

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by patman75, Jul 31, 2011.

1. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

It that time of year, my 6 pullets should be laying any day now.

Place your bets on what pullet will lay First and Second. I'm torn on who will be first.

Here are the choices all hatchery stock.

18-19 week old
    White-grey leghorn
    New Hamphire
    RIR - Production red
    Buff Orpington
    Black Sexlink

17-18 week old
    Isa brown - red sexlink - golden comet

The correct guess will be praised for their chicken knowledge. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    New hamphire in the back center. BO left, Isa Brown left front. RIR in between new hamphire and Isa brown.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for playing and good luck!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  2. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Rhode Island Red looks ready...so, I'm going with her 1st. Against the tide, I'm going with Golden Comet for 2nd.

3. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    Quote:x2

4. patman75

Golden comet as #2... bold prediction [​IMG] She has been maturing fast these last few days.

5. Larkspur88

Larkspur88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    South Carolina
    Rir and then the new hamshire

But to know for a fact who is squatting already?? [​IMG]

6. patman75

Quote:I have seen some checking out of the nest boxes with golfballs. No squatting yet but I have not gone around and tried to make them squat. But If I seen a squatter I would not tell. I dont want to ruin the fun for everyone. [​IMG]

7. kaybats

kaybats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    I have zero experience upon which to base my guess....I'm going with the RIR for 1st place, only because my RIR's just started laying at 21 weeks old!!![​IMG]

8. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    My guess would be the sexlinks in first and second place. I have an Orpington that I would have sworn would be first. She's the biggest, oldest, most red in the face, etc., but nope not her! It was Mimi the Marans! That was 2 weeks ago and Lily the Orp still hasn't layed one the free loader![​IMG]

9. patman75

Quote:My last Orp didn't start laying 28-30 weeks. I have no reason to believe that this won't be any different. Large breeds always take longer to lay.

10. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Quote:My last Orp didn't start laying 28-30 weeks. I have no reason to believe that this won't be any different. Large breeds always take longer to lay.

AARRGGGHHHH!! I have two Buffs and one Lavender out of my five hens. I guess I should practice my patience...............not one of my strongest virtues. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by