Who is laying the little green eggs ?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by PotterHillian, Aug 14, 2013.

1. PotterHillian

PotterHillian Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2013
    Upstate New York
    I have red sex links and dark brahmas (one of which is brown) they have just started laying and someone has green eggs! Any idea who it might be?

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Post some pictures. You have an Easter egger in the mix!

My first thought is one of the ones you think is a red sex link. Easter egger hens can have basically the same coloring. Look for a beard or muffs, puffy cheeks, or different colored legs--usually a dark green color. Also, green eggs are usually linked to a pea comb, and your sex links should all have straight combs. Or, it could be that brown brahma--does she have feathers on her legs?

Pics are the best way to go.

3. cluck cluck 123

cluck cluck 123 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2013
    Does anybody know how I can po0st questions?[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. PotterHillian

Apr 14, 2013
    Upstate New York
    The brown brahma does have feathered legs. Here is a picture from the beginning of June. She is nicely feathered now with some feathers showing a pretty blue hue in the light. Ill try to get an updated one. [​IMG]

5. PotterHillian

Apr 14, 2013
    Upstate New York
    This one of our Dark Brahamas has green legs and not much feathering on them. Is she suspect for the green eggs?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    That's so weird that you get green eggs....:/

7. PotterHillian

Apr 14, 2013
    Upstate New York
    Here is a picture of our brown Brahama and one of her with the Dark Brahama who also has green legs. The Red sex-links all look the same to me, no green legs or pea combs..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Old Rando

Old Rando Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I suspect the brown one is a cross bred chicken which is carrying the genes for blue and grown egg shells giving you green. Isolate her and wait for another egg and then you will know. Dark Brahmas are a specific color variety. The brown one certainly isn't that and the other one isn't a real good example of the color variety either.

9. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Both of the Brahmas look like mixes. The silver-colored one is the one that looks to be currently laying at this time from the look of the comb.

10. PotterHillian

Apr 14, 2013
    Upstate New York

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by