Who is laying what?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bobbi16, Nov 4, 2011.

1. bobbi16

bobbi16 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    Salt Lake City
    Hello,
    I was wondering if there was a way to see which hen is laying which color egg. I got a light brown/peachish colored egg and I was wondering if that was considered a pink egg and my ameracauna layed it or if it is a brown egg. I have never seen a pink ameracauna egg so im not sure. Or it could be from my sex link, austrolop, delaware, or brahma. Anyone know how to tell who layed what, besides catching them in action???

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Hi bobbi16

Catching them in action is best. After a while, you may be able to determine which one lays which color---once they are all laying. There will be slight variations in size and color. Of mine, it is really surprising to me how consistent the weights are!!!! (I have a scale that picks up small weights.) So one lays 2.5oz, one lays 1.9-2.something and one lays 1.8 pretty much of the time. My newest is turning out to be a great layer, but hers are white, and she is the only layer in the coop she is in, thus no mystery.

Your light brown/peachish is most likely what people call a 'pink' egg. I have BPR that lays the light, light, light beige that looks pinkish.

Good luck with your sleuthing.

3. arcatamarcia

arcatamarcia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    My light brahma lays a very light brown egg with a rosy cast to it. I always call it pink. Americaunas will lay some shade of blue/green.

4. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    My experience with Light Brahmas has been consistent with that of articamarcia. Ours consistently lay light brown eggs that could be called "pink".

It is possible for an EE to lay a similar egg though, so no guarantees.

Sex Links and Australorps both tend to lay medium brown eggs, ime. And we've had a whole lot of those.

I can't comment on the Delawares I've never had those.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by