Who is laying which eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PattyS, Oct 25, 2011.

1. PattyS

PattyS New Egg

Sep 1, 2011
    Greetings!

I'm VERY new to the chicken world and look forward to learning from everyone here!

I have a small flock of 5 Delawares and 5 Red Stars. I'm interested to know which breed is laying the darker brown eggs and which breed is laying the lighter colored eggs. I've posted a picture (not sure I did that correctly, but I'm hopeful).

Thanks very much!

Patty

[​IMG]

2. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    I don't know which breed lays the dark ones, but they are all pretty! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    That's a tricky one, as Red Sex-Links normally lay light brown eggs but so do Delawares, however hatchery strains of Delawares really vary. I'd say just try and catch someone in the act.

4. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    My Delaware lays very light brown to somewhat a pinkish tint eggs, never laid any dark ones like you have, so I vote the light ones to the delawares.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Your sex links are laying the darker eggs and the light tan eggs are from your delawares.

6. Auscal

Auscal Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2010
    My flock is even smaller, 2 Delawares & 2 red sex links (RIR x Delaware).plus one barred rock. For me, the reds are laying light coloured eggs, and the delawares the deeper brown, with the speckles I seeing the one at the top of your photo. Just my experience.

7. airmechreed

airmechreed Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Colorado Springs
    I have read on other posts that some people use different colored lipsticks on their chickens vents to match egg to chicken. I have never tried this as my wife would probably kill me....go buy even more lipstick at Ulta....and I do kiss her so I don't want her putting on lipstick that has been on a chickens vent.[​IMG]

8. dfdesigns

dfdesigns Indigo Ridge Farm

Sep 20, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    My Red Star laid eggs just like your darker browns... big, beautiful dark eggs!

9. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Quote:x2

Though my Delaware lays a little darker than the light eggs you have.. My BR lays eggs that colour. I find it hard to tell the difference between Dixie & Denny's eggs, but my production red lays the darkest eggs out of the four that lay

10. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    Quote:That is awful! I can't imagine doing that to a chicken. Or to lipstick for that matter!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by