Who is laying which??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ESofVA, Dec 1, 2012.

1. ESofVA

ESofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Keller, VA
    Some of my chickens started laying ~ 2 months ago....some haven't due to age and breed. Three lay brown eggs...2 red sex-links and an Australorp. I have gotten 4 double yolk eggs. I am wondering which of my chickens is laying this egg? I think maybe it is the Australorp since the shells are very similar in color to the other larger egg that I get 1 of every day. For my question, do Australorps generally lay larger eggs than Red Sex-links??? Thanks!!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  2. I have six sex-links and last week almost drove myself crazy by trying to find out who laid what. FOUR double youks? that's a lot for a young pullet.

3. ESofVA

May 4, 2012
    Keller, VA
    Yes, I have never gotten an undersized egg with no yolk. When mine started laying, all were normal sized eggs with beautiful yolks. I just got my chickens over this past year as chicks, with the first ones, the same as the ones now laying, last April. Before that my last chicken owning days were 35+ years ago, and not much into it other than feeding, cleaning the house and gathering eggs. I had small children then and worked full time.
    My Leghorns started first...two small to medium white eggs...at least until I started wondering if one of the two is indeed a roo!!! So I am now confused about those,too.
    Before I gave some "extra" chickens to a friend, I was getting two white eggs and now I am getting only 1 per day. Of course, it is gettiing to be winter even though our temps today are supposed to get from the 40's (the last 4 day highs) to 60 and the 60's for the next few days.
    I have: the oldest are the 2 Sex-links, the Australorp, and 2 Leghorns. The rest I have, hatched between May- June. My small "flock" includes: Salmon Faverolles, Dark Cornish, and 1 Delaware. If my Australorp is the one laying these nice large eggs regularly, then I want to add a few more of those and let the leghorns and Sex-links go. I want to keep 10-12 standard sized chickens so they won't be too crowded. I let all of them free-range during the day and penned at night.
    How much difference in color is there between eggs from a Faverolles and a Leghorn??? I am beginning to think one of the Faverolles hens that I gave away was maybe laying that other white egg.

4. well egg color can vary within breed--maybe it was the favorelles laying the white egg.

5. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I am betting the double yokers were from you sex-links- I have four of those and often get double yokers from them!

6. ESofVA

May 4, 2012
    Keller, VA
    Yep! One of my sex-links is laying the doubles.It is thelighter of the 2 I have. The darker one lays a dark egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by