Who is my mother!!! Duck question Do I help????

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by candrnyen, Jul 17, 2008.

1. candrnyen

candrnyen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2008
    Michigan
    Hi,
    I have (as you can see in the picture) 2 mother ducks sharing a nest. The ducklings are starting to arrive. [​IMG] finally!
    However, I am unsure of who's is who's, I have such a hard time when they are babies.
    The one mom is a Muscovy and the other one I am not sure of but I love her. Ps if anyone can identify her that would make my day, I would love to get another.
    Anyway, if anyone can help me determine what type of ducklings I have that would be wonderful.

Thanks so much in advance [​IMG]
    C J

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  2. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    AWWWWWWWW!
    The other mother is a Buff orpington. I've never had muscoveys. What does the dad look like? They look like buff. I'd think the Muscovey's would have black spots on them.

3. candrnyen

Jun 26, 2008
    Michigan
    thanks
    I have another pic that might have a better view. It is so hard to tell until they actually get loaded on here.
    let me know if this one is better. ( nope it is not, sorry)
    It should be the one that the baby is on mom's back.
    The dad of the muscovy is her color. the dad of the other is mixed with the buff color.

thanks
    C J

[​IMG]

4. injunjoe

injunjoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Pasco county, FL.
    Jerry Springer?
    Sorry I could not help myself!

5. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    I think they are the Buff's. I'd check under them and see who is either missing eggs or has pips. That would solve the mystery for sure![​IMG]

6. candrnyen

Jun 26, 2008
    Michigan
    [​IMG] I am glad to hear that!! I have a few muscovies sitting but only the one buff and I was really hoping they were hers. It is hard to tell who's eggs are who's because they switch ( or steal) each others eggs so they are all mixed up.
    Will this cause a problem? the babies hatching at different times? What do you think I should do? Should I put food and water in there for the babies so they can eat or do you think the mom's will handle it.
    thanks

7. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

See how long it takes them, if it takes over 48 hours, put water in there. If one leaves you can always put the other eggs under the other mother.

They are definitely the buffs, the muscovy's would have more black in them.

By the way, what do you use for your nest boxes?

8. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

See how long it takes them, if it takes over 48 hours, put water in there. If one leaves you can always put the other eggs under the other mother.

They are definitely the buffs, the muscovy's would have more black in them.

By the way, what do you use for your nest boxes?

9. candrnyen

Jun 26, 2008
    Michigan
    She started laying in the dog igloo so I put straw in there to make sure she was comfortable and it was clean. Then the muscovy saw it and made herself comfortable as well. I am really surprised "Carmel" let her in I think she likes the idea of a nanny.[​IMG]
    So water but no food?
    thanks so much
    C J

10. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    Not only that, but Muscovies take longer to hatch than regular ducks. Any of the unhatched eggs remaining could be duds or could be the Muscovy's eggs.

You may want to separate them out somehow to keep the Muscovy from getting up off the remaining eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by