Who is starting to think/plan their spring garden?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by furbabymum, Feb 4, 2013.

1. furbabymum

furbabymum Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2012
    Burns, Wyoming
    A few questions, I've never had success starting seeds inside and transplanting outside. They almost always die. Is it me or is this just a crappy way of doing things?

I semi-container garden because of the ground animal problem we have. Our house came with a ton of bath tubs so I filled them with dirt and use them as my garden. I also use a few tires. This year I hope to plant some corn straight into the ground to see what happens. Anything I can do to prevent animals eating the seeds before they even have a chance?

I'm moving my garden this year. Without drawing a picture or going in depth in description I'll just say there were aesthetic reasons I chose it's current location. However, it's too far away from water and I'm having to carry water to it. I start out dedicated and eventually my garden dies from lack of water. :p So this year I'm moving it right next to my duck pond (fenced off of course). Hopefully this will help and provide some AWESOME fertilizer.

Tips, tricks, descriptions of what you are doing.

2. furbabymum

furbabymum Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2012
    Burns, Wyoming
    I should add I'm desperately trying to convince my husband that we need to get bees this year. I have a large wind berm around the duck pond that I figure I can plant with a wild flower mix and voila, bees! He's unenthusiastic about the start up cost (around $2-300). Anyone loving bees?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by