Who is superstitous?(sp?)

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
I am about certain things. I am always knocking on wood (I usually use my forehead for this purpose
he.gif
) and I throw salt over my shoulder if I spill any. However I will open an umbrella indoors...kinda stupid to wait until you are out in the rain to open it...and I happen to think a black cat crossing my path is good luck, not bad! When my SO gave me an athame (knife) years ago I insisted on paying him a penny for it. If I didn't "pay" him for it, our relationship would have been severed (by the knife presumably). Now my best friend tells me that my family is going to have horrible luck throughout 2008 because we took the tree down before New Years Day. The dang thing was in the way! I told her I would eat an extra helping of black eyed peas and collards on New Years Day to make up for it! Oh and I will use a wooly warm to forecast winter, but don't believe in a groundhogs weather forecasting abilities. I guess it just depends on where you grew up, at least partly.
What are some of y'all's superstitions?

I am very superstitious. Threw my moms porcelan cat out the window and broke it cause in japan its considered bad luck. In spring I go out to find a 4 leaf clover and I have a bunch of horse shoes

I'm a little bit superstitious. I will not walk under a ladder. I won't open an umbrella indoors. My husband and I always say "Rabbit Rabbit" first thing upon waking up on the first day of the month. I got that one from a college roommate. We almost always remember. I toss salt too.
I have found dozens of four leaf clovers in my lifetime. Wish that made me an exceptionally lucky person! I'm not terribly unlucky so maybe they are working!

I'm superstitious when it comes to some things. Tha basics, if someone gives you a knife, pay them a penny. Don't walk under a ladder. If you drop a knife you're gonna have a visitor. If your left palm itches you're gonna get money, if your right palm itches you're gonna shake the hand of a stranger[folklore rather than supersition, I suppose]. I'll toss salt, say RabbitRabbit when I remember.. I don't believe in the black cat thing, because at once time I had two black female cats who had kittens and I ended up with thirteen black cats [go figure
roll.png
] and I'm still okay.. Umm. I won't walk around the house with just one shoe on, I have a ton of 4-leaf clovers and horse shoes.. Won't open an umberella inside.. I keep a rabbits foot in my purse..

I come from a looooooooong line of deep southerners who happen to be very superstitious people. Not deep southerners in general. Just my peeps.

edited for; spelling errors.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont count fruits and veggies until they've been harvested and are being inspected for distribution. Like counting eggs before they hatch, its banking on something that may or may not come to be. I also never cut down a tree or plant while its fruiting. i wait till its out of season even if it is in the middle of where the new patio is going and we have 20 trees just like it.

I believe this----If you hear a Whippoorwill calling and it's getting closer to your yard, BEWARE----if the Whippoorwill comes into the yard, calling, some one is going to die in the house!!!

My mama told me that one isn't false, it happened to my parents and myself!! One of my brothers died after my mama heard a Whippoorwill calling and it came, calling into their yard. My dad tried to tell her it was just superstition, (he didn't believe her family's belief in it) that nothing was going to happen. She was crying hysterically and praying the bird didn't come into the yard. Well, it did and my brother died (he was only a few days old with all his organs floating freely around inside him). My dad never disbelieved any of my mama's family's superstitions after that

When I was 5 months pregnant with my daughter, Jamie-Marie, I heard a Whippoorwill down the street, calling, and I heard it getting closer, still calling. I started to get REALLY NERVOUS!!!!!, I phoned my husband, told him, and HE LAUGHED!!!! Obvisly he didn't believe it after I'd told him for several years about it!!! Well, the bird came calling into the front yard (it stopped and perched on a powerline right in our front yard---standing at our front door, you could look straight out in front and up---Whippoorwill!!!), and I was shaking, scared and praying!!! This happened on a Friday, Saturday I felt little movement from my baby, told my husband, he told me not to worry, the baby just not moving much. Sunday I felt no movement, I'm thinking I should've went to Dr. appt. last Thursday (I didn't go because every 3 months you saw a different doctor and this one grinded my nerves real bad). Monday made appt., was seen Tuesday and had ultrasound (after having 5 children before this one, I knew what a heartbeat looked like, didn't see one, but they wouldn't tell me)......carried my daughter (dead) inside for 7 days until they put me in hospital to take her. I was told after she was taken, that the umbilical cord wasn't normal an inch away from my daughter's stomach--looked pinched (she basically starved to death and there wasn't anything that could have been done to save her). My husband never laughed about that belief again! This Whippoorwill was in West Louisville, downtown in a very bad part of the city! I always thought Whippoorwills were birds of the woods in the country!

As far as black cats, they are, in my eyes, good luck and very beautiful, I also open my umbrella in my home before I go out, I don't walk under ladders, thats just plain stupid-
hu.gif
walk UNDER???? Why???
idunno.gif
I don't knock on wood, don't own A rabbit's foot--I own A rabbit with 4 rabbts feet.

Back
Top Bottom