Who is the best poultry geneticist?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Pathfinders, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    I am seeking the best poultry genetic scientist out there for some information about feather color and the influence that diet can have on it for an article I'm working on. Can anyone point me in the right direction to contact such a person?

Thanks in advance.

2. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    Tim Adkerson
    or
    Ron Okimoto

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    And Henk is pretty good, too [​IMG]

4. Pathfinders

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    Thanks!

5. Pathfinders

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    Well, my question is regarding the effects of feed on feather color in poultry. I know it can influence color in wild birds, see the House Finch for definitive proof there: http://www.birds.cornell.edu/pfw/AboutBirdsandFeeding/HoufinColorVariants.htm

What I am wondering is, particularly with red feathered birds, is there a similar thing that happens? If so, has anyone run any tests to see how and why?

For example, the article above states, "In the wild, three carotenoid pigments found in natural foods give House Finches their color. Beta-carotene produces yellow to orange colors, isocryptoxanthin produces orange colors, and echinenone produces red colors."

And I know that in recent years some feed companies, Purina in particular, have added various forms of carotenoids to their feeds in order to boost the color of egg yolks, among other things. So I am wondering, would that have an effect on feather color as well? Would it make white birds have more orange feathers? Would it make red birds have more orange feathers? Is this something that is definable and provable?

And if so, could one, by not using feeds with the first two carotenoids, ensure that birds with red feathers, would keep their darker colors? And if a feed that had echinenone added was used, would it boost the red in a bird with red feathers?

But I need someone with a background in poultry feather genetics and color to answer these questions, because I just don't know.

6. Henk69

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    All I know is that carotenoid rich feed like corn (Zea mais) will yellow your white feathers. Not desirable, good for yellow shanks though.
    The red chemicals you mention are not related with the chicken's red pigments, being pheomelanins.

So I would only apply chemicals to the feathers directly, like most women do these days.

7. Pathfinders

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    [​IMG]

Not what I had in mind, really.

8. Henk69

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    Sometimes I wonder why I bother to do all those color crossings... ;)

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I think I came across an article on chicken colouring and feeds sometime in the last year or so...Kazjaps would probably know about any studies and their results if anyone would.

10. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    test

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by