who is the better egg layer the black sexlink or black austorlop

You have to wonder why some older breeds fall out of favor.
Like the heritage breeds, example the Dominique.
Were they replaced by larger better egg producers?
or maybe dropped for new and exotic breeds, like the Nankin losing
favor to the Seabright.
I think after developing better production birds, Black Sex links were developed for easy
sexing of day olds, I feel the Black Austorlop has a place, but the black sex links
are a better producer of eggs and also feed consumption should be less.
They were my favorite for eggs for a while.
Comets were crazy lazing eggs in their first years. I have a second two year old batch
that cut off in December yet the old Dominiques started coming through in January......
just when I thought the winter shut them all off.

the reason I was asking was they say the austrolop lays the most eggs a year like 300. . and I figured the sexlink would burnout quicker. so in the long run wouldn't the austrolop give you more eggs.

the reason I was asking was they say the austrolop lays the most eggs a year like 300. . and I figured the sexlink would burnout quicker. so in the long run wouldn't the austrolop give you more eggs.

Where did you get that figure? It doesn't make sense to me. Even the most productive of commercial layer hybrids, such as the ISA Brown, lay on average 320 eggs in a 76 week period. No way an Australorp would lay 300 eggs in 52 weeks.

If you care about the most eggs per pound of feed, then the BSL is your best bet by far. They will lay on average more than 300 eggs in their first 76 weeks of life, on less feed. An australorp will not lay this many, and she will eat more. Any hen will lay about 20% fewer eggs in each subsequent year. The Australorp will live longer, but again she will cost you lots of feed for fewer and fewer eggs. Even if the BSL quits laying sooner, she will have given you more eggs for less feed.

Basically, you have to decide how you plan to manage your flock. If you want to keep birds until their natural deaths whether or not they are laying, you may want Australorps as they tend to age more gracefully. If you want lots of eggs for the least amount of feed, then a sex link is a better choice.

Leghorns lay the most eggs with less feed and lay white eggs.........How many of us are going to buy white eggs to decorate for Easter?
I don't think you can rely on chickens laying as many eggs as ads claim, too many other factors involved.
Probably was an individual chicken having a record year.

An individual bird setting a particular laying record may or may not say anything about a breed, a strain of that breed, or an individual of that breed. All it really says is that one particular individual was a good layer.

Since BlackSexLinks are not a breed, but crosses and can be made many ways, making generalized predictions about them is hazardous.

I also agree that caution is advised when believing everything hatcheries state in terms of eggs laying for the different birds they sell. These are mostly marketing ploys. Will certain breeds, hybrids and strains lay predictably well? I should think so. Pretty safe to assume that the commercial hybrids sold under various hatchery made up names are going to be solid layers.

If you want production then a sexlink is the way to go. Austrolorps held the recored go a while in Australia but that was just a few hens that were the result of very selective breeding. I think you might try asking a different question. Like austrolorps vs barred rocks, or road island reds. Really they probably belong in separate category's I think a lot of people like haritage breeds becouse it's easy to have more of a self sustaining flock. There are a lot of other reasons, but for those looking for production and self sustaining in a back yard setting might try a heritage breed .

I don't know about black sex-links, but I have a BA who is phenominal in my book. She started laying in early November. She laid five days, took one day off, then laid for 48 days straight! She took one more day off and laid for another 3 weeks straight, then one more day off, then every day since then. Her eggs range from 52-58 grams, so just about "large". And, she's the friendliest bird we have.

Back
Top Bottom