Who is the crazy one?

DukesDucks

Crowing
Oct 6, 2019
Eastern Ontario, Canada
I procrastinated about replacing the tarp cover on the duck run. We had a heavy snow fall so what had been a small tear ripped and the whole thing came down. Two days ago, in the wind and more snow, I replaced it. The run is 10 x 20 so a big tarp. The original tarp was white. I hadn't thought much about it after until I realized that the ducks hadn't come out of the coop since. Did they not like that the black side was down? Today, more wind, I actually turned the whole thing over so now the silver side is down. The ducks spent that time supervising from the coop door. For the first time in their life, I put food and water just inside their door. They better come out now.😠 Do you think they actually care about the colour or is it just something new?

I procrastinated about replacing the tarp cover on the duck run. We had a heavy snow fall so what had been a small tear ripped and the whole thing came down. Two days ago, in the wind and more snow, I replaced it. The run is 10 x 20 so a big tarp. The original tarp was white. I hadn't thought much about it after until I realized that the ducks hadn't come out of the coop since. Did they not like that the black side was down? Today, more wind, I actually turned the whole thing over so now the silver side is down. The ducks spent that time supervising from the coop door. For the first time in their life, I put food and water just inside their door. They better come out now.😠 Do you think they actually care about the colour or is it just something new?
I think it’s probably just that it’s something new, not necessarily the color. If I change anything, feeders, waterers, new bedding they all freak out! Such drama!

I have heard that they don’t like color red though

Another thought, your original tarp was white, new one black? It could be a lighting thing? The black would make it seem darker maybe? And oh so scary 🤣

Another thought, your original tarp was white, new one black? It could be a lighting thing? The black would make it seem darker maybe? And oh so scary 🤣
That was my thought too which is why I flipped it to the silver side. They just looked so judgmental while I worked.
The only poultry I have found worse reacting to change are the peacocks. Give them some new type/size/colour of treat and they will circle it until one works up the nerve to try it.

That was my thought too which is why I flipped it to the silver side. They just looked so judgmental while I worked.
The only poultry I have found worse reacting to change are the peacocks. Give them some new type/size/colour of treat and they will circle it until one works up the nerve to try it.
Give them a couple days and they’ll probably be over it.

I bet this is the same case as your peacocks, someone’s gotta be brave and do it first and the rest will follow.

Back
Top Bottom