who is the rightfull boss?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Johnn, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011

2. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    Im really confused after adding 2 hens to my flock.
    rocky over all boss (cockerel)
    Ginger (tope hen)
    babs( seconds in the pecking order)
    sweet annie (third)
    prinsess layer (fourth)
    workid (fifth)
    oeflay (sixth)
    obarma (seventh)
    osma (eightth)
    melow (9th)
    flora (tenth)
    then the two orpingtons
    im really confused because i got 2 orpingtons a couple of weeks ago and one of the orpingtons is above ginger,obarma and oeflay but the rest of the hens are above that orpington and ginger is above the rest of the hens, so who is rightfully the boss hen in my flock? ginger or the orpington?
    I know its confusing but please try understand [​IMG]

3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    The pecking order isn't written in stone, nor is it a straight line hierarchy. A Queen can rule with an iron fist or an open hand, or she can use either. Her reign can be so relaxed an outsider can't always tell who's the queen. She can have friends in the high and low ranks. Those in the middle are always jousting for position. So yeah it can be confusing.

4. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    Well I want ginger to be queen again she ruled that thrown for 4 years! Although babs was below sweet annie a few month ago but not any more

5. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    What we want and the hen's abilities are two separate things. Ginger is getting older and an ambitious hen is moving up. The addition of the orpingingtons stirred the pot, With a larger flock there are more players in the order. There may be times one can't see clearly who is the queen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by