Who is this little guy?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by halo, May 17, 2010.

1. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Im starting to see this little guy every afternoon around my flower beds. In fact I nearly stepped on him today. I was working on some flower beds, and saw him over and over again. This picture makes him look big, but he's not. Maybe as big a round as my big toe, and maybe 2 to 2 1/2 feet long. Im thinking its a black racer, from the speed I saw from him when Punkin spied him and took off after him.

[​IMG]

2. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    Looks like a black rat snake, most snakes can be fast when they are intimidated.

3. bturbo87

bturbo87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    south
    black racer would be more common especially if it does not get territorial. yet if he raises his head most have a white spot on his chin. but if territorial be careful because it could be a cotton mouth we have a few of those in our back yard and i am over here by the border of GA and FL

4. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Not sure here.Not familiar with southern breed's.There are other breed's futher south We don't have here in Va.So far this year havent saw ANY here.But again We haven't gotten all the duck's out to creek and pond yet and not free ranging many of the new bird's.I am weary with the grandson walking now and outside more.I know We had a couple of copperhead's here on occasion though grrrrrrr.I will probably whack everyone I see no matter what color.[​IMG]

5. WalkingWolf

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    It is not a cottonmouth.

6. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Just a black racer, they are everywhere here in Orlando FL. Pretty harmless though they can 'act' aggressive when cornered...

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  7. Swampwood

Swampwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Krotz Springs, LA
    I can almost see if it has a round pupil..If it does, it's a rat or racer. Cottons have a vertical(cat) pupil.

8. WalkingWolf

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    Unless it is a reflection it appears the white continues on to the belly of the snake making it a rat snake. All the racers I have seen the white stops at the neck and the rest of the snake is black. All of the rats I have caught have a white or lighter belly. It defiantly is not a venomous snake.

9. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I was wondering about the white extending a bit further than its chin. But I was reading on black rats, and from what I can find, we don't have black rat snakes here, which is why I was thinking black racer.

Besides, I found a half grown rat in my feed bin today, so if its a black rat snake, he aint doin a very good job.

10. ourlittleflock

ourlittleflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    North Carolina
    black racer - we have already killed one this year and another one got away --- not going to be around us or my children or my chickens!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by