Who is Who

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by debbiejones37, Mar 5, 2017.

1. debbiejones37

debbiejones37 New Egg

Mar 5, 2017
    [​IMG]

I purchased these little ones 1&1/2 weeks ago. I thought I bought Americauna and Olive Eggers. I have a funny feeling I was tricked into buying Easter Eggers because the name Americana was spelled wrong. Can anyone help me identify them. I contacted the seller but he isn't much help because he identified some as welsummers. All the babes have muffs and beards. About half have the same chipmunk like markings. The rest look like multi colored fluff balls.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!
    There really isn't a way to ID them from this photo alone - if you can take individual shots of a few birds that represent each general appearance it will help (to photograph chicks it helps to create a three sided "box" to keep them in place while you photograph from the front/open side).
    Was the person selling them selling birds hatched from their own flock or selling chicks they had ordered from elsewhere -- if the former, did you see the parent flock? What was the price, per chick, you paid for the "Americana"?
    Ultimately, it may be apparent this early (if they have obviously green eggs, for example) but it may also be a matter of waiting for them to feather in and mature a bit to determine if they are EE or Ameraucana.

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! Ol Grey Mare has you some great advice above. Good luck with your chicks and enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, debbiejones, and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our flock! I am the world's worst breed guesser so I will defer to the expertise of others. I hope you received what you hoped to receive! Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!! [​IMG]

5. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

No matter what you ended up with, I hope you're enjoying your new chicks!

6. Flight4761

Flight4761 Just Hatched

Mar 5, 2017
    They are so cute!
    I just joined BYC today, curious on how it will turn out.

7. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG] to you too!

1 person likes this.
  8. debbiejones37

debbiejones37 New Egg

Mar 5, 2017
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    12 of the babies have chipmunk like markings the other 9 are like the other 2 pictures. The markings on the other 7 are similar. I don't know where he gets his eggs that he hatches but I did see the incubators. The Olive Eggers were advertised as rare exotic chicks & cost $5 a chick. The Americaunas were advertised as Exotic chicks & cost $3.50 each.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    When your chicks are 6-8 weeks old post individual photos of them at "what breed or gender is this."

10. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under debbiejones37 [​IMG] Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by