WHO KILLED DAISY???? (Graphic photo)

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by vivaciouswoman, Mar 21, 2018.

1. vivaciouswoman

vivaciouswoman Songster

Sep 14, 2015
    Last night was a NIGHTMARE! We've had poultry for 3 years, and with the exception of the occasional hawk flyby, we have NEVER ONCE had a problem with predators.

Then last night I caught 2 opossums (opossi?) in the chicken run. Luckily, they had not yet gotten into the coop. It was right at dusk. We took care of that problem.

But then, at 4:00 am, we were awakened by the most horrible scream from one of our ducks. I ran for a flashlight, threw open the window, but couldn't see anything other than 2 of my 3 ducks. This morning, I found her: Daisy, carried about 50 feet from her duck house. Neck broken and bloodied and eviscerated. See below. *sob* Her mate, Donald, is wandering around like he's lost today.

What critter did this? The ducks were *not* behind a gate last night simply because of the opossum ordeal. All in one freakin' night! But what should we expect to be revisiting us tonight? Please help us so we can put the appropriate trap in place!

IMG_0202[1].JPG

2. vivaciouswoman

vivaciouswoman Songster

Sep 14, 2015
    Yes, the following are common around here: opossums, racoons, foxes, coyotes, skunks.

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    First guess, coon. So sorry.

vivaciouswoman likes this.
  4. vivaciouswoman

vivaciouswoman Songster

Sep 14, 2015
    Thank you! Every piece of feedback helps us prepare for tonight.

5. RodNTN

RodNTN Hatchaolic

May 22, 2013
    The Volunteer State
    My Coop
    So sorry :hugs Hope you catch whatever did this :hugs

Table4Six and vivaciouswoman like this.
  6. Table4Six

Table4Six Crossing the Road

May 22, 2012
    My suggestion is to set a trap and capture the predator. Then relocate it to place far away from you birds so it can never come back. I am so sorry for your loss. Poor Donald.

7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    In most areas it is illegal to relocate a trapped animal to someone else's property without land owner permission. As a matter of fact, in most areas it is illegal to TRANSPORT trapped animals off your property. If you trap it, you must either let it go on your property, or kill it humanely.

Please don't ever live trap an animal unless you intend to kill it.

vivaciouswoman, Table4Six and BYC910 like this.
  8. poultry person

poultry person Songster

Jul 9, 2017
    Maryland
    I'm so sorry for your loss!:hitI'm not exactly sure what killed her though. And I thought seeing a deer head on the ground was bad!

9. BYC910

BYC910 Crossing the Road

Possoms you have more

vivaciouswoman and Nuffy like this.
  10. Nuffy

Nuffy Chirping

Jan 26, 2018
    Possums typically break the neck of a victim. Easy to trap and SSS. I dispatch when I see them, I have horses and they carry a protozoal that causes real problems. By the way they will eat each other, so that makes it easier for me. Nasty animals.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: