Who killed my chickens? Dog or Coyote?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by MI chickens, Jan 11, 2015.

1. MI chickens

MI chickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2011
    Zeeland, Michigan
    A little over a month ago I had some of my bird free ranging in my yard. We went to get a Christmas tree in the afternoon and were gone awhile. I didn't check the chickens at night with an automatic door opener, they take care of themselves. The next morning I noticed that most of the birds that I let out the day before were missing, nine of them, then I looked in our large garden and I found all of them laying dead in various parts of the garden with broken necks.
    I told my story to my neighbors who all raise chickens, telling them it sounds like a dog on the loose. One neighbor said he thought it might be coyote. My question is, do coyotes kill like that? I figured they would catch an animal to eat. All my birds, dead and alive, are accounted for, none were eaten.
    With winter set in the rest of my chickens are staying in the coops so they're safe for now. Come spring I like to know what kind of predator I'm dealing with.

2. collingwood

collingwood Chillin' With My Peeps

What is a coyote?

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    This, to me, reads more like domestic dog.

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
  5. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

If I coyote had done it, they would be carried off and eaten. You would have only found feathers.

6. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Dog.

7. Naser

Naser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2014
    Ireland
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by collingwood [​IMG]

What is a coyote?

Like Dingo

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  8. collingwood

collingwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh yeah!

9. rainbowrooster

rainbowrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    The dog was just having fun. A coyote would have been looking for food and ate them elsewhere.

10. MI chickens

MI chickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2011
    Zeeland, Michigan
    Thanks for all your responses. Funny thing is I never see any dogs wandering the neighborhood.

Right after it happened I started setting eggs aside to put in the incubator, which holds 20. Yesterday they stated hatching, out of 20 I have 10 chicks. I think that's pretty good considering the time of year, gathering that are quite cold. These birds are going to be an assortment of crossbreeds though, but as long as I get eggs I'll be happy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by