Who knew ducks liked roses? (Pics!)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ChickenToes, Jul 1, 2010.

1. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I snapped this pic today while the ducks were out free ranging - ducky butts, buried in the rosebushes:

[​IMG]

And one pic of the whole crew:

[​IMG]

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Mine do too!! I always worry if they are eating the ones at the front of the house as they have bigger thorns...But they seem to know after the first go that they need to be carefull..I guess the feathers do protect them a bit too. Some very nice colours you have there... I would love to see some pics of the one hiding behind the black one in the second photo.

3. sianara

sianara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Central MA
    Or Lavendar??? The other day I caught mine rooting around the dirt under the lavendar plants. I yelled at them "Hey, what do you think you're doing up there? Get down right now!" They scooted down off the raised bed and slinked away [​IMG]

I keep coming home to find the old ducks out in the big yard (outside of their fenced yard in the woods that is) and I asked my DH today "Who let the ducks out in the back yard?" He said "DS". I said "Why?" He said "I don't know" So I asked him and he said "because they like it." (Keep in mind this is my college student son who has shown very little interest in the ducks beyond when they were ducklings. I think he feels bad for the old girls because the 4 new girls have invaded their space and they are afraid of them [​IMG] )

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  4. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

My 10 ducks completely free range over mine and my neighbor's property, our land is about 2 and some change acres i'll say 2.5, neighbors is about 3 acres and his is on woods and behind there is a big old field of about 10 acres beind a stand of trees...The ducks though, only travel and like about 3 acres, and I have given up trying to pen any of them at night because they are all one flock and their favorite bedding place is behind my neighbor's old little beat up shed in a huge thicket of weeds, trees, and poison oake. [​IMG] SO they sleep there, and since they are near the neighbor's hogs and other dogs they have yet to be harmed the eldest ducks are 17 or so weeks old, and have been free ranging day only since 5 weeks, and 24/7 free ranging since 9 weeks. SO I just leave them be...

They have recently discovered they can get into my silkie's runs and eat their food and treats in the evening, and discovered my flower bushes (lilac, lilies, and roses) and nibble on those at the side of the house like the silkies do! like they need more pruning [​IMG]

5. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Quote:Here's a pic of the one behind the Cayuga. She looks a bit scraggly, I think she was fresh out of the duck pond when I took the pic. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The ducks usually don't cause too much trouble when they're out free ranging, but when they decide to do something bad, they go all out! The other day they were out by the garden (the gardens are 8 inch raised beds), no problems, and the next time I looked my Khaki Campbell was in the garden, chewing on all the beet tops.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by