Who Knew I Would Fall in Love With Poultry? Tacoma, WA

Can I have an Orpington mixed in with smaller size hens if I get them all as babies?

• Yes

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but keep a safe area available if they need seperation

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters

ChickAudie

Songster
7 Years
Sep 25, 2012
Hi Friends!

I am BRAND SPANKIN' NEW to the world of chick-a-dees and I love every minute of learning about these special back yard creatures. I have yet to get my flock, I want to make sure I have everything in order first, so here's to getting that coop assembled this weekend....!

Here are the breeds I would like to have flockin' around the garden: Golden Laced Polish, Buff Silkie, Red Shouldered Yokohama, Buff Orpington (just couldn't find a Splash for the life of me :0(), and my fav(!) Mottled Cochin Bantam.

I know all of them are pretty little besides the Orpington, and I am wondering if I get them all as chicks, will they get along OK? Should I leave the Orp out?

Thanks so much BackYard Chickens! I look forward to gaining goobers of info about my future babies!

-Audrey Dawn, Tacoma, WA

welcome-byc.gif
from California!

Hello, I am in Washington too, on the Olympic Peninsula. I planned too, and finally 5 weeks ago we got 27 chicks!!! I was glad I planned as there were a few times it paid off! Where are you in Wa.? If you are in an area of eagles, owls or hawks you must put netting or something over the top of your run. Here they are a big problem, so that was my biggest challange in preparing a run for them. Once they are older, bigger and wiser, I plan to let them free range a good part of the day.
I am having a great time getting to know my girls, funny the different personalities they all have!!

I think the buff orpington, which is supposed to be a gentle, non aggressive breed will be fine, especially if you raise them all together.

Hi in Sequim! Is that where the "Egg and I" was filmed? My dad had mentioned it to me a long time ago... We are city dwellers in South Central Tacoma! We have a lot of things to protect them against here, racoons, opossums, rats, cats, dogs, demon birds (any that fly)! We are enclosing the entire 8'x6'x6' run with 1/2"x1/2" galvanized hardware cloth, I believe that I read here that it was the best to protect chickens from racoon paws and what-have-you. They can free range in our unbelievably (biggest one I have seen in town!) large Tacoma yard while I am out there playing with the kidders or working in the garden. I cannot wait to post pics of the coop when we get it done and of the new babies in the family! I love this website/forum, everyone is so knowledgeable and most important, helpful! Thanks so much and good luck with your new backyard babies!!

Back
Top Bottom