1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Who knew I would raise chickens....

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by 4kidzmama, Mar 23, 2012.

1. 4kidzmama

4kidzmama New Egg

Mar 23, 2012
    Hi,

My name is Samantha and my family and I are from Mercersburg, Pa which is in South Central PA. We live right along the mountain. I have four children ages 13, 11, 7, and 5 and a husband who could normally be considered one of the kids..ha! We have quite an array of pets. We seem to "collect" them as the kids get older and are able to handle more challenging animals. My girls spend a lot of time at a local dairy farm and often show cows. In addition, we also have a horse named Ninja, a sheep named Andie, 3 dogs we just adopted (Willie, Cocoa, and Chloe) and a cat (Mama), 2 beta fish,3 snapping turtles we resuced last fall and most recently 8 baby chicks. Whoa! That looks like a lot when you spell it all out.

Our chickens seem to be doing very well. Our chicks were bought at the local feed mill. We got several different breeds. I am unsure of there exact age but we have had them for about 4 days now. I am finding lots and lots of helpful info on this site. I love that the terminology is easy enough for a kids to understand. Anything that makes the kids want to help and get out from in front of the tv is ok with me.

I have to say that I really, really never thought I would be raising chickens and either did anyone else in my family. So far I am finding it quite easy! Hey, what's a few chickens once you have all those other animals. They really do complete our little farm.

2. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    [​IMG]

I have a "zoo," too. The great thing about the chickens, of course, is that they do produce something, which makes it easier to excuse them being there (for those of us that need an excuse, lol). And when they free-range, every day is like an Easter egg hunt.

Once again, welcome to the forum!

3. Symphony

Symphony Vanilla, Little Airt Airt

[​IMG]

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

5. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio....glad you joined

6. [​IMG] From Texas

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

9. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

10. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. :thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by