Who knew I would raise chickens....

4kidzmama

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 23, 2012
Hi,

My name is Samantha and my family and I are from Mercersburg, Pa which is in South Central PA. We live right along the mountain. I have four children ages 13, 11, 7, and 5 and a husband who could normally be considered one of the kids..ha! We have quite an array of pets. We seem to "collect" them as the kids get older and are able to handle more challenging animals. My girls spend a lot of time at a local dairy farm and often show cows. In addition, we also have a horse named Ninja, a sheep named Andie, 3 dogs we just adopted (Willie, Cocoa, and Chloe) and a cat (Mama), 2 beta fish,3 snapping turtles we resuced last fall and most recently 8 baby chicks. Whoa! That looks like a lot when you spell it all out.

Our chickens seem to be doing very well. Our chicks were bought at the local feed mill. We got several different breeds. I am unsure of there exact age but we have had them for about 4 days now. I am finding lots and lots of helpful info on this site. I love that the terminology is easy enough for a kids to understand. Anything that makes the kids want to help and get out from in front of the tv is ok with me.

I have to say that I really, really never thought I would be raising chickens and either did anyone else in my family. So far I am finding it quite easy! Hey, what's a few chickens once you have all those other animals. They really do complete our little farm.

welcome-byc.gif

I have a "zoo," too. The great thing about the chickens, of course, is that they do produce something, which makes it easier to excuse them being there (for those of us that need an excuse, lol). And when they free-range, every day is like an Easter egg hunt.

Once again, welcome to the forum!

Back
Top Bottom