Who knew raising chickens were so much fun!

ClineFamily

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2020
Hi all!
I am new to this forum and decided a little over a year ago to start raising chickens. It all started with taking care of our neighbors chickens for a week. Very soon after our neighbors returned from their vacation we went and bought our first chickens and a chicken coop.
We started out with what we thought was olive Eggers- we now believe they are sapphire gems. They look exactly like a sapphire gem and lay a pinkish- to tan colored egg. I hen even produces a tan speckled egg. However when we hatched 3 eggs only 1(the rooster) came out looking like his parents. 1 hen is completely black ( laying a dark tan/brown egg) and 1 hen is white w/ black spots (who lays a pinkish egg with speckles). Can anyone confirm? If I can figure out how I will post pictures.
Thanks in advance!!!

Hi all!
I am new to this forum and decided a little over a year ago to start raising chickens. It all started with taking care of our neighbors chickens for a week. Very soon after our neighbors returned from their vacation we went and bought our first chickens and a chicken coop.
We started out with what we thought was olive Eggers- we now believe they are sapphire gems. They look exactly like a sapphire gem and lay a pinkish- to tan colored egg. I hen even produces a tan speckled egg. However when we hatched 3 eggs only 1(the rooster) came out looking like his parents. 1 hen is completely black ( laying a dark tan/brown egg) and 1 hen is white w/ black spots (who lays a pinkish egg with speckles). Can anyone confirm? If I can figure out how I will post pictures.
Thanks in advance!!!

Attachments

• 20200311_153250.jpg
    20200311_153250.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 20200311_192628.jpg
    20200311_192628.jpg
    519.3 KB · Views: 16
Hello! Those sure look like Sapphire Gems. From Sapphire Gem parents, you should get black or splash coloring as you described. To get the "blue" coloring, you would need to cross an all black with a splash, at least that's my understanding from what I have read.

Back
Top Bottom