Who knew that baby chicks could be tyrants for attention?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MargoBarbara, Mar 10, 2017.

1. MargoBarbara

MargoBarbara Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2014
    We got 2 Cream Legbar chicks last week, and now they are 1 week old. I love their little tail feathers! We've been giving them loads of attention in the brooder ( they live in the bathroom) and the last couple days, they are CLAMOURING for attention all the time. It's kind of cute. I am going to get them a small mirror for amusement today, and give them a small rock to climb on. They are terrified of twist ties and kind of ignore empty toilet rolls. How soon can I give them a clump of soil from the garden to rummage through?

2. ChickenGoesRuff

ChickenGoesRuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2015
    Iowa
    I'd say they'd be fine with the soil, and they sound hilarious. I had 2 hens with 13 chicks (I let them outside on day 3, the moms had been cooped up so long) and as soon as they were in the run, started dust-bathing. The chicks tried to emulate the hens, but with down feathers, it kinda failed. However, the dirt will get kicked everywhere, including in the feed and water, so be mindful of that. Mine also were terrified of mirrors, and I had to put it away. A mirror worked great, though, when I had show at fair and I had to pen one of my 3 hens in a separate cage. I hung a stainless steel mirror, and I think seeing another bird next to her was calming, she started cooing at it later...

3. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Egg Grower Premium Member Project Manager

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    I give soil from the yard on day one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by