Who knew?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Scottsdale Chic, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Scottsdale Chic

Scottsdale Chic New Egg

Dec 30, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    So I was reading a Southwest Airlines inflight magazine about 18 months ago which did a feature article on chickens and eggs. It was the only inflight magazine I've ever taken home. I showed my husband and told him that I wanted to try raising a few chickens. His prompt response was "hell no!". But he had no idea how serious I was. He started to show mild concern when I bought a book on chickens and would research breeds on the internet. Six months later, on our anniversary, I pounced. I knew he hadn't bought me an anniversary present and there were some Ameracauna chicks at a feed store. We picked them up that afternoon! Of course, he had tried everything to get out of it, but I'd already contacted the City to make sure it was legal, arranged for a coop to be built, and had an answer for every objection. What I didn't know was exactly how much I would love my girls!!! Who knew raising chickens could be so tremendously fun and rewarding (besides all of you already on here)? It's been just over a year now. I only have one Ameracauana and one Silkie who I love dearly. I have some French Black Copper Marans on order which I will have to wait four months to receive. I already want a bigger coop. LOVE the chickens!!!!!
    I can't believe I am just now finding this website. What a fantastic resource! I'm in Scottsdale, Arizona. There seems to be a growing number of Zonies in love with poultry. Would love to connect with some of you. Happy New Year!

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    :welcome From Virginia, Glad you joined us. :) If you ever have any questions just ask.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

3. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from washingtion state glad you joined us!

4. fisherlady

fisherlady Overrun With Chickens

Welcome to the addiction Scottsdale Chic... glad you found BYC!

To best connect with others in your area try going to....
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/31227/arizona-chickens

it should be a good place to start.

Check under the learning center heading above for tons of great info!
    Enjoy and glad you picked up that magazine! [​IMG]

5. Sk8inChick(en)

Sk8inChick(en) Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    The Show-Me State
    What a neat story! However you found us, we're happy to have you here!

[​IMG]

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Scottsdale Chick, and [​IMG]! So happy you joined us! Love your story about how chickens came to be your passion. So did your husband come around to loving them as well? Best of luck to you and your birds in the future. Enjoy those Marans and these dark brown eggs - I want some of those some day! Happy New Year!

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

8. Carcajou

Carcajou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Delhi, New York
    [​IMG] from NY state. Glad you found BYC!

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Happy New Year, and welcome to BYC.

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by