Who knows about golden cascade crosses?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Wifezilla, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Someone is offering them for sale and I am not familiar with this breed. Anyone have experience?

2. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
  3. greyfields

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
  4. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I am trying to get a hold of khakis or runners from someone out of Parker. If that falls through, I was thinking about giving them a try. The only thing I found on them mentioned "good layers".

They are cute [​IMG]

I just wonder about temperament. They are bigger than khakis, but that might be a plus with my stupid youngest cat :p

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  5. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    I thought it said "Golden Casserole Crosses".....

6. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Yummm...LOLOL

7. greyfields

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Ok, found out a little more. They are a sex linked duck breed which was actually created by the Holderreads. They can be sexed by bill color at birth. I wonder why they no longer sell them, though?

Also, sex linking does not typically survive crossbreeding. So, the question would be what the ducks were crossed with if they're calling them "crosses".

8. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Found this on the Sand Hill Preservation site...
    "Golden Cascade: Drakes have greenish-bronze heads with white neck collars, red chestnut breasts, creamy-buff undersides. Hens are a buff color. Live weight is between 6 and 7 pounds. These were introduced in 1984 by Holderread's Waterfowl. They are top notch layers and are deserving of greater world numbers. Over the past several years they have laid almost 100% from early January through August, have taken a couple of weeks off, and then returned to heavy production through the end of the season. Young that are hatched in April will frequently start to lay by Fall. Ducklings $4.00 each (30)"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by